Pending No More Being Quoted Alert!

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by lin821, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed from the contest thread that quote alerts have stopped coming in. I still see all the Likes alert. Here's when I found out: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...he-star-mega-do-3.13838/page-2863#post-656882

There are quite a few MP hiccups in the contest thread in the last say 48-72 hours. Not sure if they have anything to do with the volume of traffic. You can look up my posts in the contest to see what had happened. For example, no permission to Like a specific post, textbox not clear upon reply submission...etc .

Just thought the Tech Dept should be aware of these abnormal MP behavior and see if there are new bugs and whether the impact is site-wise.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up lin821, we are looking into this now.

SC Flier, jbcarioca and lin821 like this.
  3. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very welcome, Tim!

I just noticed that I was able to get the quote alert in our Community Lounge thread. (This is the post and I got the proper alert too.)

I seemed to run into some interesting problems in the contest thread though. A poster said that the abnormality ever reported in the contest thread was only observed in said thread. So I am not certain if those acting-out was thread-specific. If it were, I would be very surprised since I can't figure out how high traffic in one single thread would trigger such MP irregularity that impacted only one thread and nowhere else.

SC Flier and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    It certainly could be a result of that one thread, I have been getting my quote notices for this thread correctly it seems, though we did see a huge spike in posting traffic from around 7 this morning peaking out at about noon (mountain time) for obvious reasons.

lin821, SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    there were a number of anomalies in that thread- it was probably testing the limits of the software or server.
    Alerts have been normal all day, but I only barely dipped my toe in that thread- I meant to make one post, but it wasn't appearing, so I hit Post Reply two more times, then when I did a refresh all three appeared. The thread had already scrolled to another page.

Since the rest of the site was fine, I'd say blame this one on the traffic volume (and maybe the mix of twitter and standard posts coming in at the same time). Now you know the limits of either xenforo or the amazon cloud (I'll guess it's the former).

lin821 and SC Flier like this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that alerts are coming in when someone replies to the contest thread, either. I'm not 100% sure of that, though, since traffic has mysteriously declined in the thread and only a small number of posts have been added recently. ;)

Could it be related to locking and then unlocking the thread?

lin821 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the recond, I got a quote alert from one of the big threads on MP, but not Flying with Friends.

lin821 likes this.
  8. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what puzzles me. All these bizarre MP behavior is "well-contained" within the Flying with Friends thread. Someone just made another new post SIX TIMES in a row a few hours ago. :eek:

I would have assume if the power of PWP did break MP, we would have seen outbreak everywhere on MP. Apparently, the contest thread isn't contagious enough to spread all its hiccups. ;)

And I still don't understand why I can't Like that specific post of Pat's. Why would I get such a warning," The following error occurred: You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." :confused:

(Noted the link I originally provided isn't working no more. Obviously the thread cleanup right after the contest ended had screwed up the post numbering hence my link wasn't valid no more. Tim you may have to look up the log to identify that post since I don't recall exactly which post it was. :oops:)

One more thing: I still can't make the sense of this "deleted user" phenomenon. (Reported here). Since when "deleted user" is a proper handle to show up in the Like Comment?

Have I said I tend to discover strange details? Yes, I did. :D

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that post exists anymore. Are you sure that Pat didn't delete it shortly after posting it? It could have been present when you first loaded the page, but she deleted it before you tried to like it.

lin821 likes this.
  10. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the post still exists and Pat didn't delete it. I am 100% positively sure.

IIRC, that post was addressing to bobsgt and had a word about beauty or something. I did try to look back a few pages from my original problem report post, but I wasn't able to find the one. The one I found already had a Like from me. :confused: (Things were moving along quite fast at that time though)

That's why I suggest HOM or Tim to look up the log before the cleanup so they can match my link (w/ original post# and thread page) then identify the problem. I only saved the error message that I had highlighted above. I wish I had quoted that post from Pat.

11. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Yes we have seen a lot of strange activity in that thread. Thanks for the bug reports.

This particular post you are trying to link to has been deleted by its author.

It looks like that is another oddity of that particular thread, we will keep an eye out though. Thanks again.

SC Flier and lin821 like this.
  12. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine)

I know the contest thread traffic broke MP in many unexpected ways but as of today, this particular problem still exists. That's causing multiple submission of the same post (i.e. re-re-repost).

Since the traffic has calmed down and back to normal since Monday noon, how come this sort of high-traffic irregularity still stay on board and only in this one single thread?

Have you guys come up with the correct "diagonoses" yet? Or is the post contest thread is beyond repair or redemption? ;)

13. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    We don't yet have a solution or full explanation on what is going on in that thread yet. Thanks.

ryandc99 and lin821 like this.
  14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lin, good catch. What you spotted has also started happening in the FL* thread. It seems these large threads overload the capabilities of the platform; clearly an issue to be tackled before the site grows much larger.

lin821 likes this.
  15. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not getting alerts for quoted posts in the FL* thread as of today (I think).

I get quote alerts normally for all other threads, and the normal like alerts over the entire site.

lin821 likes this.
  16. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle, did you happen to notice at what point/page/post this "unexplainable phenomenon" started to happen?

I have a hunch that all the breaking points may have something to do with a trigger page/likes/quotes, or whatever quantitative matrix/stats/indices that would normally come built-in with a thread. The contest was moving so fast that I wasn't able to keep up with the out-of-sync happening. Since it just recently happens in FL* thread, you guys may be able to pinpoint something so Tim & Co can start their "data mining." :D:p

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The refresh problem started in both threads around page 2540. People didn't spot the quote alert problem right away, so we don't know if it started at the exact same time or not.

SC Flier just flagged another data point. He quoted me twice from the FL* thread, one quote was posted in the same thread but another was posted from another thread. I got an alert in the other thread. So, it isn't based on the thread being quoted, but on which thread the quote appears. (hope I articulated that, but anyway he'll probably explain it elsewhere).

SC Flier and lin821 like this.
  18. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also verified that it doesn't matter whether I quote from a pre-2540 page or not. If I am on page 1000 and quote from there, it still doesn't refresh or create the quote alert after posting.

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    that is what I would have expected, once the database gets messed up, it applies to the whole virtual space.

lin821 likes this.
  20. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. Or could it be a problem with the page? I previously suggested that there might could be problems caused by the page number scroll. Since I don't know how that works, I haven't ruled it out. Increasing the number of posts per page would make that feature revert to a smaller number of pages.

Tim, is there a separate test environment where this has been reproduced and tested?

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  21. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by "the whole virtual space?" MP as a whole? Or just the thread with the "hole?" ;)

It appears from the contest and FL* threads that problems are contained within threads, instead of the whole site. I'd say the safest conclusion as this point is once a thread is broken, it can't be fixed. Or at least HOM hasn't spotted the fix yet.

Gargoyle likes this.
  22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I meant either the server or database space in which the thread resides. The corruption remains within the thread. As SC Flier showed by quoting from a thread but putting that quote outside the thread, and as we showed by quoting from another thread and embedding the quote in the corrupt thread, the damage is contained inside the thread. So I'm visualizing it as being that the thread resides in its own virtual space, keeping the corruption from bleeding over into neighboring threads.

Or maybe XenForo just can't handle threads with over 2540 pages or 63,400 posts. Then again, didn't Bill Gates say something to the effect that 64k should be enough for anybody? :D

FriendlySkies, lin821 and SC Flier like this.
  23. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, there isn't any indication that the database is corrupted or damaged in any way from what we have seen. I expect that when the bugs related to these threads are worked out things will work as you are used to throughout the threads with problems now.

For further discussion, new info on this it is probably best to see: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/answered-refresh-post-problem-returns.15920/ rather than this thread as all of these issues are related.

lin821, Gargoyle and SC Flier like this.
  24. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but I sorted of reported all of them here first, even though my thread title didn't specify all that I've talked about. All the PWPers went for the rehab right after the contest, instead of coming here to register problems. :p

I actually don't mind having the discussion continue over the referenced thread since FL* thread is the "newest" victim and more FL* participants are chimed in with their experiences. HOM should get more "fresh" incident reports there.

I am just a liiiiiiittle bit disappointed that the same problems remain unfixed from the day I started this thread. I thought you guys would have at least had a proper diagnosis, if not fix, by now.

Let's just try to find all the bugs and get rid of them! :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Lets find all the bugs and feed them to my chickens! They are excellent de-buggers.
    chickens-water-trough.jpg

SQ LPP and lin821 like this.