No more A380s for Air France and Lufthansa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Sep 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No more A380s for Air France and Lufthansa?

ACMM likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! That is not good news. Me I have always from day 1 supported the concept of point-to-point with the Dreamliner, and never like being on the A380.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a Whale of a Jet...

ACMM likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like calling it the guppy :)

5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    The business case for the A380 has always been a stretch. Sounds like they're realizing that the aircraft and hard product aren't directly translating into increased profit per seat mile flown.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also that little problem of the competition from middle-eastern (gulf state) carriers.

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As AF moves their EU traffic to LCC subsidaries they will end up with excess mid-range planes and pilots. The logical thing would be to utilize those for point-to-point to more destinations outside the EU (Africa, Middle East, perhaps hopping the pond)

ACMM likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown the A380 once, TATL in business class on LH with the old-stype angled flat seats in a 2-2-2 arrangement. It was interesting, but I'm not a fan of that aircraft. Not many airports really have the capacity to handle so many passengers very well.

ACMM likes this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the A380 may be profitable during peak periods, the airlines own them year-round, and it is very difficult to deploy them profitably during slack periods. It either kills yield or you fly a lot of empty seats. While it may have competitive CASM, if don't fill the seats at attractive yields, it doesn't work.

10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is sad, I like flying most of the A380. When I get a chance I always choose them over other aircraft. I also do like the Dreamliner and the 747-800. I guess I just like newer planes.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on how they are outfitted. I didn't think LH's C class nor their Y class were anything special on the A380.

12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took AF a long time to board those '380s on the JFK route. Over two-three hours !! That could not be a good thing. After my experiences, I actively avoid 380 on AF.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two to three hours? Did they board with just one door, or how did they accomplish this? I flew three segments on BA's A380 recently and while I did not sit there with a stop watch, my recollection is that it didn't take any longer than it takes UA to board a 777.

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flow the QF A380 in both F and J several times to Australia and believe it is the best jet out there and it is generally full on those routes. I have 6 more trips in the next 6 months (some F some J) on the QF 380. Also have flown the LH A380 in J and I agree the poor J product is an issue. I have done the LH 748 six times in F and find it to be a great product as well. Not a big fan of the 787 as it is too small and no F cabin.

That said - the QF A380 out of LAX boards in less than 45 minuets as there are multiple doors and ramps and then the aircraft has 4 aisles - 2 up, 2 down which speeds up the process. At least at LAX - the boarding process is very quick. I find the 757-300 to be the slowest to board - 200 passengers and only one aisle.