No more 500 mile minimum?!?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just logged into the "new" united.com to check my balance and reservations and noticed that for an upcoming trip it has Award miles/ Premier qualifying miles listed as 85/100% for SMF-SFO and 373/100% for LAX-SMF. Do we still get the 500 mile min as elites?

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you do. No need to panic.

3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also noticed the distance between Hawaii and the US mainland has changed...interesting

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. Thanks!

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is how the new PSS displays this information. CO's old system did the same thing. Remember, non-elites get actual miles, so the display is more generic than custom for elites.

As ssullivan said, we still get our 500 miles. And trust me for myself who flies a bunch of BOS-EWR the 500 miles is very important feature of the elite program :)

6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry my IAD buf flight showed on the bp as 500

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reported the same earlier today for my SFO-LAS flights. But united.com also says this for an award flight:

MileagePlus Members:Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 3,028 MileagePlus award miles.*

At the bottom of the page are a bunch of "Important Travel Information" bullets, among them:

Miles and segments will NOT be earned for award travel.

So I think United's developers opted to keep the code simple and not put a bunch of "if" statements in the code for the website. They could easily check if the passenger is Elite and display 500 miles, and they could check if the ticket is an award ticket and display zero miles. But it gets tricky with the status as it could change before the flight.

Ultimately probably not something most travelers really worry about.

I thought the islands were moving in the other direction. :)

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely recall the min for US metal flights will be changed to 250

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless something changed on the partner earning page there is no minimum on US going forward.

As for showing the 500 minimums, the way CO useed to credit it was the actual miles and then the balance to the 500 for eltes as a bonus. M guessing that will continue. It isn't wrong, necessarily, but it does require some interpretation on the numbers.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The continental drift theory is no longer theory.

11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The earthquake moved Kona a skosh to the left:eek:

12. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it appears it's been cut 5 miles each way from SFO and 7 miles from LAX. How very interesting. Was this the amount of miles that CO awarded on their flights? I don't know, I've never flown on CO to/from HNL.

13. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just miles between Hawaii and the mainland that have changed. It seems to be all over the place. ORD to LHR and SFO have suddenly decreased as well. There are reports of various other city pairs that have also changed (almost all downward). I don't understand why they would all suddenly change, but I know I don't like it.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya know, five miles here, five miles there, it all adds up over the numbers of FFs they have. This is a very sneaky way of downgrading the program if this is true......

JLSocks likes this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really weird...as of when I posted this the diffence in mileage between the US mainland and Hawaii has changed even more. Before it was only -/+1 mile, now it is -5/-7 for both OGG-SFO and OGG-LAX respectively.

16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They (the Smisekteers) figured they are on to a good thing....incrementally reduce the mileage between city pairs over time. No one will notice, and pretty soon they are just doling out the 500 mile minimums......this is BS :mad:. What is especially bad is you know that United is reading this site and they have not yet responded....

17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is b.s. and it can't really be blamed on the merger because as far as I know CO never served those routes; they were always United. I know each trip is different, especially over the pacific based on which route atc assigns and departing and arriving traffic procedures, and I assume in the past the mileage awarded was an estimate and I never had a problem with the awarding the same amount for every trip, but when every route out there is being reduced...yeah, the world isn't getting that much smaller!

Anyone out there find a route that was increased? (other than lax-OGG which was later decreased)

18. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that hist:oops:rically UA used slightly different numbers from what CO used. Since they are now on the former CO systems, I figured that was the reason for the change. Now, however, I see that the numbers CO used before the integration are not the same as the current ones. For example, EWR-SFO used to be 2565. Now it is 2556. Are the numbers we are seeing now also different from what UA used on its old systems?

IDGflygirl and avflyer like this.
  19. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this matter (reduction of mileage credit) requires a new thread)....

hulagrrl210 and JLSocks like this.
  20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the years I always got the same credit for various city pairs. The explanation that they are now using PMCO "rates" if you will, holds water until you look at things like LAX-OGG.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  21. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. FT already has a lengthy discussion on this matter.

I PM'd UA Insider about a website issue I noted as well as a bunch of examples where the world has apparently shrunk. Not sure I'll get a response, but perhaps if enough people send messages to UA Insider, we'll get some form of response.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  22. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer can't be as simple as that they are using the CO distances, as even th;)se have changed. EWR-ORD is now 716 miles, where it was 719 (and I recall 721) in the past.

IDGflygirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  23. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've just been leaked an internal UA memo. Effective April 1, 2012, all routes in the system will earn exactly three miles.

24. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's UAInsider's response that was posted in the thread on FT. The official company line on this is a bit BS in my opinion, considering when you look at some city pairs like ORD-LAX and ORD-SFO that both dropped, the previous mileage matched GCM exactly, none of the airports moved, and the competitor airline on the route still uses the previous mileage amounts.

Looks more an more like a cheap move on UA's part to save some $ by decreasing FF mileage expense each year.

"Originally Posted by UA Insider [​IMG]
    Hi Everyone, in true FlyerTalk form, your detailed thought and research on this topic are worth talking about. And as usual, we have a pretty boring explanation for what really happened.

As part of combining our two loyalty programs, we did a side-by-side comparison of the mileage calculations used by Continental and United. Of course, we found differences. Most commonly, these differences in calculations were found in locations where airports have physically moved (e.g. DEN, HKG, SIN, etc.). Other differences were found in markets where, when Continental or United added service, the mileage amount chosen was simply set to match other carriers already servicing the market as opposed to doing a new calculation.

In an effort to begin using a single source for all mileage calculations, we refreshed all of our calculation data. The source against which this new mileage is calculates is a standard Great Circle Map (GCM) table. As many of you know, there are several sources for GCM data, and, while they don’t match perfectly, they are also rarely ever off by more than a mile.

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights
    United Airlines"

25. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It IS BS!!! My reply to this is "Why can't we find any routes that have increased???"" Even the laws of chaos dictate that this type of anti-event will happen occasionally. Syncing up the PMCO and PMUA rates is reasonable, but to skew it so there is nothing but or an overwhelming majority of increases is a load.

Try again Shannon.