No Milesaver flights DFW to California in late June

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by netdoggydog, Feb 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. netdoggydog

netdoggydog New Member

Status Points:
    Trying to get my family to Sequoia/Yosemite last week of June by redeeming AAdvantage miles. The return flight options on July 3-7 are plentiful. Could it really be true that there are ZERO Milesaver options to any of the airports in the area (SFO, LA or Reno) in late June (27th is my preference)? How should I approach this challenge? Do I bite the bullet now and book using an Anytime award, or should I wait for Milesaver flights to magically appear as those dates draw nearer.

Is there a better way to scope this out than hawking the AAdvantage flight calendar? I haven't called AA directly yet.

I'm flexible on dates within a couple of days.

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're willing to wait, do so. No sense in using aanytime now when you can do so pretty late in the game for the same amount of miles. When you say family, assuming it's 3 or more of you so wouldn't count on getting all the tickets at saaver rates. Maybe others can help you with the loads on the routes, as that would be the only thing weighing against you waiting to book. Can't use aanytime award if the seats are already sold.

MX likes this.
  3. netdoggydog

netdoggydog New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. About flight loads, I have a couple of follow-up questions for any others who might have found themselves in my situation:
    1. Is there any reason to expect that Milesaaver flight options to California in late summer might appear again? Or is it a likelihood that once they disappear, forget it, they are gone for good.
    2. Can someone share any positive experiences they've enjoyed booking a Milesaaver award for summer travel to California, say in April or May? Or are summer flight loads typically so heavy, there is no reason to think that is a possibility?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might help if the OP would specify the starting point or home airport. It seems pointless to ask about flights from somewhere in the world to three airports near California.

SORRY. I see DFW in the thread title but not in the OP.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might help if you tell us how many in your family? If you are looking for 3 or more then you might be out of luck anyway its after all the start of the summer school vacation .. everybody is looking for awards over that period and particularly since it included July 4th

That said I see a fair amount of inventory on EF for DFW/LAX (the only route I looked at) but with changes in PHX or LAS for 2 or 3 awards.

6. netdoggydog

netdoggydog New Member

Status Points:
    Two adults + two children in our family flying from D/FW to anywhere near Yosemite. No flights to California appear that accommodate 4 passengers on MileSaaver awards. Playing around with it, I can find one flight into LAX (via Austin) for two passengers on a MileSaaver award.

I guess the lesson learned is to book summer flights to California earlier than February. And it's not just California - we've checked countless other destinations. I'm a bit disappointed in the options for using AAdvantage miles for my family of four for summer vacations.

Maybe there is a strategy for finding MIlesaaver flight options that I'm missing here. Are there better ways to navigate the system than using the full calendar view on the AAdvantage flight planning site?

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes It know as Expert Flyer, requires a paid subscription but is well worth particularly if fly primarily on AA

8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seats are available with miles but not at the bargain rates. It is high season and loads are higher than in the past as well I imagine.

Expert flyer has paid for itself for me year after year. It's a very handy tool. I have a few milesaver alerts in that system right now :)

9. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    With two adults and two children, investigate saver awards on different days/destinations. Perhaps one saver award, and one paid, ticket can be found on day 1, with like results on day 2.

(On a recent trip to FCO in off season, we got 6 people to Rome, w/ 5 of 'em award tickets. We found a pair of saver awards on UA, plus 3 award tickets outbond on US, tho it required leaving on a different day than the outbound UA tickets. Return on US on two different days. Really complicated, but it worked, we always had one adult with each child.)

Also check on saver F awards - there's frequently much better availability, and if you have to come up w/ 25K miles for a one way award its better to do it in F than economy. Caution - this gets more complicated if parent and child are in different cabins.

Hope something works.