No Luggage: What Everyone Can Learn From Luggage-Free Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/05/no-luggage-what-everyone-can-learn-from-luggage-free-travel/

I spent last week on the road with nothing but a BlackBerry Torch and some essential toiletries for No Luggage Week — an experience that proved both liberating and productive. Few people would ever duplicate the exact experience, but it does have plenty of lessons for anyone who travels regularly for work.
    Like many of my Lifehacker projects, No Luggage Week was deliberately extreme: every work task had to be completed on my BlackBerry, I couldn’t take any change of clothes, toiletries were kept to the absolute bare minimum, I didn’t stay in expensive hotels, and I changed cities every single day. The point is that if I could survive and thrive for a week under those circumstances, almost anyone should be able to shrink down their luggage and technology requirements when travelling.

2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i agree with the "shrinking" down for travel. it is a process that can be learned over time. for me personally, i have gone from an overstuffed 25" case (always checked) to an organized carryon. this was a major deal for me but i learned it can be done. :) doubt i will ever manage a "no luggage" trip but will keep it in mind. baby steps, baby steps. LOL!

sobore likes this.
  3. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't do it, which probably makes me a good candidate to try. But I like my stuff and it feels like I am taking a piece of home with me :D

ShopAround likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this my wife posting? :D

AmericanGirl, jmrich1432 and viguera like this.
  5. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm just the opposite. I am going on a cruise next week, and usually I only bring a carry-on. Well, this time I am also checking a bag (I have to bring some stuff for my husband, who is working on the ship) and I'm actually feeling pressure to bring more stuff. I usually just wear the same stuff over and over, but this time I guess I should bring more options. It's strange having the extra space. I almost don't know what to do with it!

ShopAround likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted the same thing in the other thread... I've done it before, but either overnight or with the explicit intention to procure on site.

If I'm on vacation, even if my list of things to do is short, "washing underwear in the sink" has to be very much near the bottom. :)

7. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    Giggle ;)

8. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For business trips I have pared down my luggage considerably. The work equipment I cannot do much about which is why my personal stuff has been condensed. I did it because trekking through an airport hauling all my stuff got too tiresome.

9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could pare down my luggage. But try to convince my wife that she needs less than a 29" bag.

10. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was never a light traveler and even more so after I got stranded in the aftermath of 9/11. I had packed for a two-day trip that stretched into nearly a week, with nothing to wear but a couple of suits. I ended up going to a mall to buy stuff - I am not a wash-my-dirty-clothes-in-the-sink kind of girl.

And I agree with the poster who said they like their stuff. I like mine, too. It's often the little things, like bringing my Frette pillowcase that smells like the detergent I prefer because it helps me sleep better in a strange bed. When you spend so many nights away from home - I'll be sleeping in hotel beds for 18 nights in June - it's comforting to have at least something familiar. That No Luggage Week experience would be hell for me. :eek:

11. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you. The only thing I wash in the sink is my swimsuit.

sunseeker likes this.
  12. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i understand that but sometimes what you want and what you need are two different things. ;)
    just don't accidentally forget you have another piece of luggage. :eek: good luck with the empty space problem. that is sometimes a bit weird for me when i do the same thing...i keep thinking i have forgotten to return something to the case on departure.

i am doing two cruises, two days apart and have considered just bringing one set of clothes and washing onboard. not really keen on rushing home to do laundry just to repack the same stuff. LOL!

i agree the "airport hauling" can deter even the hardiest traveler. what did it for me was the London Tube and their lack of well marked lifts and way too many stairs. ;)
    if she is having to haul it, then perhaps she would think twice. see above comment about the tube. and also the need vs want comment. :D the combination is lethal. *nods*
    sink? i wash mine in the shower. sinks tend to be messy and i end up with water all over me and the floor. the shower saves me time. ;)

charlilo, jmrich1432 and Sean Colahan like this.
  13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am a wash in show as opposed to sink traveler

14. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a shower washer! MUCH easier than the sink. I keep it as light as possible, if I'm going to be somewhere for work for awhile I find a good, local dry cleaner so I don't have to haul suits back and forth. Just drop em on Wed/Thurs and pick up Monday.

I would love to be able to do everything on a Blackberry! Good for you Sobore

Sean Colahan likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    9/11 seems to be a bit of an extreme reason to bring extra stuff. If I plan on taking a bump on the return from a trip, I tend to pack an extra t-shirt/underwear/socks set if space allows. But I am not planning for the blizzard of 2012 causing me to get stuck at the airport for days or weeks. In the unlikely event of needing additional stuff, I would not have a problem just buying it as needed.

That said, zero luggage is too extreme for me, too. But checked luggage is a rare occurrence for reserved for snorkel trips where i want to bring my own gear and/or Xmas trips where presents take up too much space.

ctporter and Sean Colahan like this.
  16. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to use my android phone and not bring my laptop on short trips, but I want to always bring a change of clothes since the time the pax next to me in first spilled an entire glass of wine on me.

To those who do laundry in the shower: are you wearing the clothes when you wash them?

ctporter likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd consider this scenario to be infrequent enough that I'd not "insure" against it with extra items in my carry-on and instead rely on my wallet as a mechanism to deal with the situation (purchase new stuff at the next aiport).

18. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would hate to have to find clothing on the road. I do not consider 1 lightweight pair of pants, 1 shirt, and 1 change of underwear excess luggage no matter how short the trip. The kind of quick dry stuff the OP cites is also very lightweight.

19. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I have had this on my mind as I have tried to travel a bit lighter for a two day trip.

You were traveling for a week with one outfit? So you had nothing to wear for exercise? If you wanted to stay out a bit later in the evening, you had to rush back to the hotel to wash and dry your clothes? And of course I cannot erase my vision of you (happily I don't actually know you) each evening watching tv starkers with the hair dryer in hand. Seriously that cannot be a pleasant way to travel!

20. kayet
    Original Member

kayet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always carry a couple of gallon ziploc bags, which I much prefer over the shower. Little dish soap/laundry powder/shampoo/whatever and some water, throw in the clothes (start with lights if you want to reuse the water for a few batches unless you're into tie-dye:D). Shake to agitate, open and rub clothes against each other, let it sit for a couple hours to get out stains, very flexible options (and I'd have the bags with me anyway, never know when they'll come in handy).

charlilo likes this.
  21. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehehe that is funny. Though I suppose it could save time. No, I don't wear them as I wash the clothes.
    Interesting. Though for jeans you would need a fairly large bag. I suppose it is as good a method as any but I will probably stick to shower washing clothes.

Sean Colahan likes this.