No luck booking CX award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by PAinNY, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

Trying to book first class on CX for 9/25 HKG-JFK - called early morning (331 days out) and no luck for F seats. I was willing to go to ORD but nothing.

Do you think it's still worth trying. My alternate options would be F class on AA from PVG or Business on CX from HKG - opinions on which would be the most comfortable for the long haul flight.

Also, if I do book one of the above alternates can I still be waitlisted for F award?

Many thanks
    PA

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely still worth trying for CX. Did you check any of the other cities that CX serves, besides ORD?

Regarding the business seat, definitely book the CX business flight. You'll get CX service, which can be argued is better than anything you'll get on AA.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    PAinNY likes this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply. No, I just tried JFK or ORD. If i would have to fly AA then it would be from PVG-ORD in First class not business. I understood that AA first does have the lieflat - hope I am not wrong because I am booked to Beijing on AA first class going out.
    Do you think CX business is better than AA First? It's a long flight:)
    PA

FriendlySkies likes this.
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whoops! Guess reading MP at 6:00am with no sleep isn't the best thing... :D AA F is lie-flat!

Between lie flat AA F, and CX J, I think I'd still go with CX. The product is just that much better on CX. Now if it was between the new F on the AA 77w and CX J, that would be a tougher decision!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

PAinNY likes this.
  5. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again Friendly Skies - I think I will call again late tonight and try for the 26th - if not I will take Business on CX
    PA

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many seats are you trying to get (you did say seats) find that on the JFK/HKG route they seem to rarely release more that one seat this early. I would go ahead and book the J seats if you are bent on flying CX ... sign up for their Asia-miles program and monitor it on a daily basis and if/when F seats are released later you can AA and make the change.

BTW in the past I have found better F award inventory out of ORD so that might be an option to consider.

PAinNY likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Instead of randomly calling? Why not search BA first?

PAinNY and infamousdx like this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    My albeit limited experience booking CX F is these seats to/from NAmerica don't open up until a week or so prior to the flight unless you're looking at an off-peak business travel period. Since you're planning September travel, don't expect F awards even as the booking window opens. It would be different if you were flying in June, July or even August across the Pacific. I'd opt to book CX in J and check back closer to flight dates. (Also agree you should check out the BA Avios booking tool for potential availability of CX premium award space. Checking the AsiaMiles site won't help much because it shows award space available only to its members and not to other OW partners. As an AsiaMiles/MarcoPolo member, I've searched that site, found availabilities but when calling AA they can't book those seats.)

airtraveladdict and PAinNY like this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'd suggest the Qantas search over the BA one.The BA one will try to route you through LHR.

PAinNY likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience differs somewhat from yours:

I have redeemed three CX F awards using AA miles ( all NA/HKG) since late 2008 all three awards were for two seats each and I was able secure them between 5-8 months out by monitoring
    inventory on asiamiles.com ( which I was doing practically on a daily basis at about 2am HKG time)

Perhaps the inventory shown to regular non-status members differs from that of a Marco Polo, but in every instance I called AA they were able to see the very same that I did.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Singapore Flyer and PAinNY like this.
  11. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't try BA yet but I did try Quantas and it would not show me partner airlines - I have alot to learn so I will read up more before attempting BA and then I will try Quantas too

Thanks for the suggestions and help
    PA

12. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you have to log into the qantas site first. Select classic partners when searching awards. They do show availability of CX pretty easily.

PAinNY likes this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    i've notice that to be the case for first as well. It seems that AM will show more coach seats than what partners can see. Same with the J seats.

PAinNY likes this.
  14. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I finally got into Qantas and it only showed Business and Economy coming back from HKG - not having much luck with the BA site

15. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok - I called right after midnight and I have 2 First Class seats going into SFO on hold - it's a 744 not a 77W but we will get to spend a few days in SFO which is always fun.
    Did I do well or should I book business going direct to JFK? We are happy with a stopover
    Thanks for your help
    PA

FriendlySkies likes this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO is a great city :) I wouldn't mind it

PAinNY likes this.
  17. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've pledged to not return from Asia via the West coast if I can. It’s a letdown to arrive in first class and then transfer to a domestic business class flight.

In your case it may still be worth it since you get time in SFO.

FriendlySkies and PAinNY like this.
  18. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - it works out great - going out we spend 2 days in Chicago and then coming back 2-3 nights in SFO. I will have a good comparison of AA First class going from ORD to PEK and then the return on CX.
    Very excited and thanks for all the suggestions and comments

iolaire and Singapore Flyer like this.
  19. airtraveladdict

airtraveladdict Active Member

Status Points:
    Apologies for bumping this post, But I have just had the same experience. I used Expertflyer and found J seats on CX, I confirmed it with my AsiaMiles account and saw the seats.
    But using BA I couldn't find any, only Y+ and QF's system doesn't even list that flight number as available.

When I called AA, they can't see it either.

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's possible for seats to show on the Cathay site for Cathay members but not be available to partner airlines.

21. airtraveladdict

airtraveladdict Active Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I thought that was the case. I will keep checking Avios/BA to see when Cathay releases these seats to their partners. :)

22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    • CX award seats do open up at odd times and especially within a few days of the flight.
    • CX J vs AA F is a very subjective matter. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, so different people will prefer one or the other. In brief, you get much more usable space, significantly more space, more privacy, and lots more at-seat storage in AA F compared to CX J. AA F also has PJs, a mattress pad, two thicker individually-wrapped pillows. CX J has more polite and consistent service, much more extensive beverage selection (e.g., CX has Perrier, a wide selection of teas including various black, green, jasmine, organic chamomile, organic peppermint, plus on alternating months, Cathay Delight or Oriental Breeze). AA lets you pre-select your entrée from 30 days to 24 hours ahead.
    • Flying from HKG to SFO is usually a much shorter flight than JFK, so you'll get much less time to eat multiple meals, watch lots of movies/TV, get a good night's sleep, etc.
    • If there are two of you in F, the CX 747 is nicer than the CX 777 if you can get seats 1AK because you can interact with each other. No other CX F seats allow this.
    • Usually, AA/CX/BA/QF can book seats when AM shows more than two available.
    • There are sometimes interesting anomalies when booking CX award space using AA. Often, the AA agent can't see seats that other sites (BA, QF, CX) can see, and sometimes the AA agent is able to see and book seats that none of the others, not even AM, shows. I don't understand it, but it's happened to me multiple times. So, always call AA.

PAinNY likes this.