No longer Platinum Premier -- anyone else?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Counsellor, Mar 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I logged on to the Marriott Rewards site to make a reservation and noticed that I'm no longer PP. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but since no one (outside a probably secret room in Marriott GHQ) seems to know the criteria for elevation to or being bounced from PP, I thought this might create a data point we can extrapolate from:

1. I was granted PP in 2011. I had been Platinum for a number of years, and either Gold or Platinum for about the last ten, but this was my first year at PP. In 2010 I had 126 nights which included some roll-over nights but about 100 nights actually earned in calendar year 2010.

2. In calendar year 2011, I wound up with 124 nights, including 51 roll-over nights, so only 73 nights actually earned in 2011. As noted above, I didn't stay at PP for 2012.

I'm suspecting that in order to remain a PP, the member must have actually earned at least 75 nights (excluding roll-over nights) the year before, but I don't know whether 75 is sufficient to remain PP, or whether there's a "total including roll-overs" that must also be met..

So, my question(s):

1. Was any member who was PP in 2011 but earned fewer than 75 nights in 2011 (exclusive of roll-overs) retained at PP for 2012? If so, (i) how many total nights did you have at the end of 2011 including roll-overs, and (ii) how many nights did you earn in 2011?

2. Was any member who was PP in 2011 and who earned 75 nights or more in 2011 not renewed at PP for 2012? If so, (i) how many total nights did you have at the end of 2011 including roll-overs, and (ii) how many nights did you earn in 2011?

Thanks for any data you can provide.

dmc730, MyTravels and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that Marriott requires not only nights but also points for lifetime status levels, I wonder whether your exclusive focus on a nights criterion is correct.

Alternatively, given that extended stay properties earn fewer points than full service hotels, it would not surprise me if, for example, Residence Inn nights counted much less for Plat Premier status than nights in full service properties.

MyTravels, Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting thought -- that a factor other than nights stayed (and money spent), i.e., points earned, enters into the calculus.

Some of us have suspected that all nights are not created equal -- that FS nights may count more than Fairfield and Courtyard nights. We were thinking in terms of revenue more than of points (which can come from credit cards and promotions as well as spend). However, it's worth a thought. Let's see how I did on points last year and I'll get back. I think credit card spend, promotions, and bonuses were pretty high, though.

Thanks for the thought!

MyTravels likes this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    When rollover first started P rolled over beyond 75 while PP rolled over past 100. (People complained so now PP rolls over past 75).

This leads me to believe that PP probably has a (soft?) threshold at 100+ nights - possibly all earned within the current year (excluding rollover).
    Points would be an interesting threshold, which means the Marriott Visa (or timeshares deposited for points) could factor into PP status.

Counsellor likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would fit, too. Anyone (other than me) miss 100 nights earned in 2011 and get bounced from PP but have over 100 counting roll-overs?

(By the way, I'm not griping about losing PP, just trying to figure out what the criteria are.)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A hundred nights alone, especially as a new Plat, does not necessarily get PP.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know. That's why I specified losing PP (i.e., had already gotten PP, but was not renewed). I'd had a number of years at Platinum, some over 100 nights stayed, before I was given PP.

Again, what I'm trying to figure out, if we can, is the criteria for *staying* PP once you've got it.