No lifejacket, no video, standard for Cathay?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by estnet, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    No life jacket, no video, no recovery. Normal?
    So, new to this airline, and happily ugd to business after the safety demo i check for a tab for life jacket. Don't see it and can't budge the strip that says pull I ask the purser. She can't open it either, seems totally unconcerned sort of shrugs her shoulder when I say hope there is no emergency and leaves.

Video stuck on announcement mode. After three attempts to reset it purser says sorry flight is full so I can't move you.

Oh and seat moves back about two inches with any pressure - like take off- so I find myself leaning back. Again when reported to staff they seem totally unconcerned, language isn't an issue bc were departing Singapore and purser speaks excellent English.

As I'm about to start flying CP I'm a bit worried, first about their indifference to safety, no attempt at service recovery, and NO ASSURANCE that any of the problems are being reported and will be fixed!

So what I want to know is did I just have a bad crew or is this normal for Cathay?

2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    bad crew on full plane...
    just have a glass of the good champagne and relax

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    B
    Ah but if the champagne had been cold perhap I would have enjoyed it more ;)

hope it was just a bad crew and not an indicTion of the corporate culture regarding safety and matinaince in general! The fact that apparently the airline is denying a fire in an engine (that was seen by a passenger) per reports I've just read isn't making me feel any more comfortable

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the passenger knows more about what was going on in the engine than the airline does? The fact that someone can see flame coming from an engine doesn't necessarily mean that the engine's on fire.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Actually a rather common and minor event, a bit of unburned fuel catches and flares for 3 to 10 seconds. It can be very dramatic looking (I've seen video) but it is a non-event.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or it might have been a compressor stall or surge - you can get a dramatic amount of flame billowing out around the fan but it really doesn't amount to very much.

There's a great and well-known photo out there of one such event, I think at a Swiss airport (possibly an AA aircraft), but I can't find it immediately.

7. Or in the case of the British Midland crash at Kegworth, the pax KNEW which engine was on fire and the crew misread the instruments and shut down the wrong engine.

It's a team effort onboard. Everyone can contribute.