No good ways of converting anything else to Marriott points?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by gconnery, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got a 1 night stay at a Marriott coming up in August and it would be nice to book it with points. But of course I don't really stay at Marriotts so I don't have a significant number of Marriott points. I do have a bunch of airline miles in different airlines, Ultimate Rewards Points, Amex MR points etc etc and I was looking into options for converting ANYTHING to Marriott points, and I can't really find any.

UR (or was it MR) dropped or was dropped by Marriott a while back.

Points.com doesn't even offer Marriott as a partner, as sucky as their transfer options are.

What am I missing? Obviously I can apply for a credit card to get the points, but is that the only option?

gregm, iolaire and Espan like this.
  2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    UR Points transfer 1:1 to Marriott...

B1BomberVB and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I see the transfer option in my Chase Sapphire UR area.

B1BomberVB and Espan like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow I'm stupid.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have elite status (I think that's a requirement) UA points can go in also, though at a pretty cruddy rate.

gconnery likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you're not. I would, however, add IMHO, depending on the room rate for that one night, I would weigh the pros and cons of not converting points and paying instead.

uggboy and gconnery like this.
  7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Normally I'd rather transfer Chase UR to Hyatt or UA, which are also 1:1, but if you need Marriott, you do ;) !
    Also, one member can transfer Marriott to another member fee-free. Marriott Rewards ignores the term "spouse/ domestic partner" on their Website & form. Transfers are in 1000 increments only. You must first make a points res. & your friend can transfer only the number of points you're short, rounded to the nearest higher 1000.

gconnery and gregm like this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm aware there are potentially better values for my UR points. I'll have to do the math. And yes I use most of my UR points for either United flights or Hyatt stays. This is just a one off because we have an early international flight back and this hotel is integrated into the international terminal--you just take the elevator down. So no rental car return, no coats and boots, no shuttle bus, just walk over to the check-in line. Which will still require getting up crazy early. But its a nice hotel. Nice lounge too.

B1BomberVB and gregm like this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is definitely a contributing factor. Sometimes you can't put a cost on 'ease'.

stedger2, uggboy and gconnery like this.
  10. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gconnery, how many Marriott points do you need?

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a basic room at that hotel is 25,000 points. Assuming I don't go for lounge access or anything (I have no status with Marriott). I've got exactly 1,000 points. So 24,000. I can book the room through the UR portal directly using UR points for 22,576 UR points, but that reservation is non-cancellable/non-refundable so given the minor advantage in points, I'd go with the 24,000 probably.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the cash price for that day?

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like $294/nt. So at best 1.2 cents/point. Which is pretty poor compared to say what you might get with United or Hyatt. But then again I don't actually redeem for a lot of really high end stays or even flights, so obviously it depends. Course if I earned those points (or replaced them) say by buying $500 VGC's at -4 for $5.95 at 2X with an Ink, I'd pay about half a cent a piece so its still a decent redemption compared to the cost of MS'ing the same points again. Course it would use up all the Bluebird slots for 2.5 months, but with Evolve, BB, etc its easy enough to make up.

14. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    What Category? If it's 1-5, then you might consider doing a mattress run for a Megabonus cert. There 'ought' to be a promo coming up in June, so if you find some cheapo Marriott close to where you live, do it 2 times and use the cert at a nicer property.

I used them in DC and the cash price was around $249.

15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like its a category 5. WRT normal stays I don't think I can throw any nights to anything other than SPG, Hyatt and Hilton any time soon. Keeping those maintained will take all the nights I've got. But a mattress run is an interesting idea, assuming the megabonus thing appears as you expect.

Looking around I can't see anything cheaper than $71/night on a Friday night in June. So about $78/night all in. Might be able to do better of course with codes or whatever. So about $156 for two nights. Or about half.