No Excise Taxes on flights starting this weekend??

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Wings, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that the taxes get "hidden" tonight. That the total fare doesn't change and depending a few weeks down the road what happens the airlines either pocket the difference and say it was part of the fare all along or they pay out the tax portion and the receipts are adjusted. Obviously this may not be totally kosher on the airlines part though I still see it happening. It will be like when you go shopping and the sales gimmick is "We pay the sales tax".

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have reports of taxes disappearing from tickets yet? I just tried a few options on both CO and UA, and they stil include taxes in their prices. 9 PM here in SEA, but I thought things might get started once it's midnight in DC.

4. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    no tax on .bomb for me right after midnight EST.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this straight. Parties in Washington are threatening to collapse the world's economy as we know it over the debt impasse, and throw us into another recession, or worse -- but the same parties can't get their stuff together enough to allow the FAA to collect a tax that's already (long since) approved, thus making the deficit even worse by the hour. All because of a squabble over government unions. How professional!

6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up a MR on DL earlier this morning - taxes for the domestic trip were $31.50 less than the mileage run booked earlier this week (and makes sites like farecompare overestimate the ticket cost). Other posters have suggested some airlines not named Delta have adjusted airfares upward with the taxes missing :mad:

7. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Legally, airlines can change their fares when they want to, but they must disclose the taxes, fees, and other charges. If an airline keeps the same total price, it isn't "hiding" the taxes or paying for them, they've simply raised their fares. There's nothing illegal about that.

FAA reauthorization battle has been going on for more than a year. They've simply been passing extensions since the last authorization lapsed. No taxes also means the aviation trust fund (used to upgrade ATC and provide grants for airport infrastructure) will be collecting nothing.

icurhere2 likes this.
  8. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing illegal at all, just not consumer friendly. DL picked up an itinerary for August when I would have normally waited until the fall fare sales for this mileage run.

9. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any one has the luck to get tax refund from the airlines for itineraries beginning later but ticketed earlier?

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I later noticed around 11 PM PST that taxes were gone on CO.com but not UA.com. I haven't checked yet this morning, but it seems at least that CO is not raising fares to compensate. CO does a better job of breaking down the taxes, too, so it's easy to confirm.

Also worth nothing: ITA isn't showing the taxes, either.

11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just bought some flights on CO.com. Taxes that were previously $21 (EDIT: or $32) are now $14 - they're still collecting the 9/11 security fee and the U.S. Passenger Facility Charge.

EDIT: same on dl.bomb

12. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep...narrowly speaking, neither of those are taxes, but rather "fees" There's a legal distinction, though they both feel the same. I do think though that a lot of the add-ons to international tickets are not being added (for APHIS, Customs, etc).

13. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an issue I'm looking into for Delta. So far, the response others have gotten from them is that DL is still looking into the issue. I'm traveling this weekend, and it looks like I should be able to get back $50 if it's the date of travel, not the date of purchase, that matters. I've also heard that it may be necessary to go through the IRS, not the airline, to get those taxes back.

14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does it seem this situation gets increasingly difficult??? Not like our gov't is doing a great job getting things done right now...