NO eVIP available in advance at all? update or new policy?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Apr 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I tried various routings and could find no award availability despite trying different months, routes, etc. Called since they can do a sweep and found NO ug availability on many routes including mia-mvd for the next 6 months! Not one seat.

I hope this is a IT glitch not a harbinger of things to come :(

2. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, systemwide space has become increasingly more difficult to confirm in advance.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of availability this week to Seoul with C7 a few days, so there's definitely up-front availability on at least one route. I've cleared both Madrid and Seoul trips this year at booking.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    mia-mvd No availability for 6 month period! Starting tomorrow and going forward 6 months A few days ago various routes had sw avail. Such hope tonight is just a system glitch!

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at this week and Expert Flyer shows C7 for tomorrow (nothing the rest of the week). Maybe it's been changed since you called. There does seem to be a lot more reports of upgrades clearing within 48 hours of departure this year. Both MIA-EZE and MIA-GRU do show some upgrade availability in the week ahead, so it may just be the route you're choosing has high demand.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it is a system glitch. We cleared Madrid only within a week of travel and we are wait listed now for JFK-EZE when every seat is wide open on our flight in July (business to first). They are getting very stingy and waiting till the last minute on many routes now. If there is space, you will certainly clear towards the flight date.

7. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agreed it is getting harder to get clear on booking the ticket now. Got cleared upgrade both way LAX-PVG outside 100 hrs. last week.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    DFW to LHR cleared at 100 hours in March. LHR to DFW 48 hours in April. Not sure if they are pushing the time periods back or if it's a one-off.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    SWU clearance is definitely not getting easier.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add two more reports to the total. Flights were to/from Heathrow last month, my upgrade cleared on the "to" flight the day before, and on the "from" flight the day of departure; in each case only about 60% of the seats in Business were filled on the flight, so it wasn't that they were holding a few back in case of last minute purchases.

In past years with that situation I'd usually clear at least a week out, sometimes earlier. Not sure why they're bogarting the seats, particularly since March is low season.

marcwint55 and MSYgirl like this.
  11. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When mine cleared for my LHR-DFW (April 8th) at 48 hours instead of 100, there were still 25/37 seats available in business class.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had also tried various routings to hkg and cdg (0ff season). No ug space (econ to bus) even when wide open. Since all my travel is discretionary wonder if there is any point in requal for exec if I can't use vip's in advance - I won't book 10 or 15 hour flights in coach without confirmed ug :(
    I don't understand why people are talking about 100 hours - the whole point of vips (at least for me) is that they are confirmable IN ADVANCE, unlike domestic ug's.
    In any case, I'm seriously sad. I was soooo happy with AA, but not now.

Counsellor and marcwint55 like this.
  13. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes. it seems like can't confirm at booking anymore for many routes..have to play the waitlist lottery :( the availability to confirm at booking was one of the great features of EXP.

OceanBreezes, Counsellor and estnet like this.
  14. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been EXP, but that's what I was told by other EXPs (that they usually clear at 100 hours). To break down my trip further, the smaller segments (MSY-DFW and return DFW-MSY) did clear instantly. It's the LHR segments that were delayed, and I think they just wanted to try to sell the seats first. If they are supposed to clear in advance, then I can understand your frustration. :(

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may have been their experience, but last year it was (relatively) easy to book in advance and confirm over water ug at ticketing, this is the major value for me. When I book totally discretionary travel I won't buy the ticket at all if I can't ug - the airlines used to release at least 1 ug seat far in advance, then maybe more, but it looks like the game has changed.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  16. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    All very un-scientific though my personal experience is it used to be a lot easier to clear in advance and I always cleared eventually. Last year it became very hard to clear at ticketing and I missed a few waitlisted upgrades entirely.

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get used to the new reality where airlines are actually wanting to (and can) sell business class and not give it away. All AA is doing is what the other airlines have been doing recently as the economy improves and they need to keep inventory open for the period most revenue business fares are booked, within two weeks of travel. At least with AA you don't have to buy a mid-range economy fare to use a SWU, so you're not risking a few hundred dollars more to play upgrade lotto. But experiences of late show that unless you're flying a high-demand business route on a Thursday/Friday or Sunday/Monday, your upgrade should clear a day or two before departure. A few days sooner if it's a mid-week flight on a less in-demand route.

I haven't missed an eVIP upgrade since moving over to AA about two years ago and that's been more than a dozen flights mainly across the Pacific.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    OceanBreezes and flyforawg like this.
  18. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    My trips last fall (MSY-dfw-LHR-...) generally cleared in C in the last day or at the last hour. That's the problem with having fewer business class seats, which are good enough that people will actually pay for the product.

A caution - on UA, the SWU gets credited back if the long haul portion of your trip doesn't clear. As I understand AA, if any segment clears, even the 450 miles or so from MSY-DFW, the SWU is used. I usually apply AA SWU's only to the long haul portion of the flight and don't apply it to the domestic legs until the long haul clears. One exception is cross-country before a TransPac - there's a good chance if I wait for the long haul to clear there will be no room in domestic F, so I take my chances and apply the SWU to the entire itinerary.

flyforawg likes this.
  19. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    My trip to EZE cleared at least ten days in advance. The return cleared 14 to 18 days in advance. They are holding them longer. Not much we can do abou tit. All the phone agents say they'r ejust holding them longer.