No Elite Access in Security Lines at YYZ?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get it. I am denied access to the premier lane in security at YYZ. The person says the United does not pay for their elites to access this line. I realize UAL does not have a big base in Toronto, but what gives?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does the sign say? At some airports (USA) the gatekeeper to the elite security line is paid by one airline, which then runs the line for only their own elites and premium class passengers. And does the UA website include a list of airports where UA elites have access to special elite security lines?

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sign just says something like "Pearson Priority Line". It seems the gatekeeper there is an airport employee. UAL does not have a list of A/Ps, they just say "priority security lanes (where available)". This is a bit obtuse, as I interpret "where available" to mean where there is physically a priority line. Of course UAL will tell me that the priority line is "not available" at YYZ.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agent is correct. At YYZ it is AC elites and AmEx Platinum cards for the priority line at the transborder gates.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a priority security line in the transborder area after US customs/immigration pre clearance for those holding Amex Platinum cards, as well as AC elite status or J boarding passes. No STARGold though. In both the domestic and international wings fast track is available to Amex Platinum cardholders, Nexus cardholders, and AC elites and J boarding pass holders. Again no general STARGold. Not sure why the Nexus card is not acceptable for fast track in the transborder area (other than for getting through pre clearance).

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not doubt that the gatekeeper was correct, I just think this is a bit of a slap in the face to *Gold / UAL premiers. "Thanks for flying with us to Toronto, now go stand in line with the kettles and wait your turn". My gut feeling is that the GTA airport authority charges an outlandish amount of money for this service, but again you get your premiers used to a privilege and then take it away at some random airport, it just doesn't seem right.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This priority lane is probably paid for solely by AMEX. Since AMEX is the primary partner of AC, they include AC elites and J to build goodwill among the most high value AC passengers. If anything, I would not be surprised if AMEX paid extra just to ensure that nobody else could opt-in to the line through other elite programs.

avflyer likes this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite possibly true. And I quite understand the OP's disappointment. However, it really starts with your government down there having decided that Trusted Traveler would be handled by private contractors and not as a government program. And of course, it went belly up because it is not a function to be handled by the private sector. In any case, the new program should be applied universally across the US and Canada, based on the same screening procedure used by Global Entry and NEXUS/SENTRI. It is ridiculous that this is not already the case at all airports in both our countries. (10 years since 9.11 and we're just starting to get this act together...no wonder nobody has faith in government south of our border!) Anyone with these programs has been vetted and cleared. So we should -- as our authorities have done by creating NEXUS security lines at most Canadian airports -- have this as a universal fast track access at all airports in both countries. I suspect it is because the US government is moving ahead on its own private sector Trusted Traveler program, that Canadian airports cannot use the NEXUS fast track for transborder security.

I'd say contact your Congressman...but s/he's on vacation while your country falls apart!

9. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After I have waited in the customs line, getting through security a little faster is the least of my worries!!! Not much past security in the US terminal anyway!

10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not talking about immigration, but security. Personally, I feel Nexus is a joke. My wife has it and gets stopped 100% of the time in YUL. Additionally, I do not really feel like giving up more of a biometric profile than I already have and trusting it to the security morons.

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal 1 is decent, certainly better than T3. Decent food, some shopping, and a solid MLL. Kind of hard to complain, and its why I had no problems arriving 3 hours early for a Friday afternoon flight out.

12. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, wow - is this new? I've been through YYZ quite a few times in the past 5 years, and every time I've had no problem using that priority lane (I know exactly the one you're talking about) as a UA 1K (and nothing else). Weird!

cheepneezy likes this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I was talking about security. If you'd cool down and actually read what was posted I was pointing out that the NEXUS card is now used as a fast track Trusted Traveler program here to get through almost all security lines at major Canadian airports, save for those lines at transborder stations. Because your authorities have certain hang-ups and are only now getting a Trsted Traveler program going (almost 10-years after 9.11) don't blame everyone else. You don't have to give up more bionic profile material, it is already in a system that is integrated. You show your NEXUS card and you get fast tracked. And if your wife gets stopped at YUL (is this by American officials at pre clearance upon returning to the US or Canadians upon entry).

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several restaurants and shops, two lounges -- AC MLL and Amex Premier -- coffee shops. Not sure what else you expect unless a full shopping mall ala Copenhagen or LHR?

15. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me, too! Even when I'm not in J, they still point me through to the Fast Track lane.

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It varies greatly, boiling down to the individual guarding the entrance.

17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm shocked that someone actually enforced a priority security line...

18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, nothing to cool down...sorry if my post appeared agitated. My wife gets stopped coming into Canada at YUL (she is a Canadian citizen). Second, I was not aware that NEXUS fast tracked you through security. I have been through many security queues in Canada with my NEXUS carrying wife and she has never been fast tracked through security more than I. (Except at YYZ where her AC elite status gets her / us through).

I think this issue is simply that United has not ponied up the funds to pay the entity running the security lines. Whether they are just cheaping out or are blocked out by AMEX (see post above by mowogo) is unknown to me.

19. Consider yourself lucky. Technically you aren't entitled. I personally have found that when in UA First Class at YYZ I am let through the priority line about 80% of the time.

Usually the regular line isn't too bad because they have a lot of checkpoints open so its not a worry. But it does stink to breeze through Nexus to have to wait in another line and cut down on my lounge/soup time!

20. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually think the transborder area in YYZ T1 is pretty nice - duty free shop, 2 sit down restaurants, a couple of quick-service joints, a Tim Horton's, a Starbucks, and the aforementioned MLL (which I've never visited). It's a far sight better than EWR Terminal A, that's for sure.

My one annoyance about the YYZ T1 transborder area stems from its modular nature - the giant doors are opened and sealed at various parts of the day to expand and contract the various departure lounges, which is great. Trouble is, some amenities are listed on the directories as being within the transborder area...only there's a 50% chance there'll be a big glass door between you and it. I think the directory says "lounge times limited" (or something similar), but it's not clear to someone who doesn't transit YYZ often what that means.

21. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me three. I haven't had any problem being fasttracked through... except when last I travelled with my wife as she insisted on picking the long line at YVR.

22. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    File this under "tell me something I don't know"

I just got my response from UAL

"Dear,​

Thank you for contacting us about Premier Line, one of our Travel Options by United.

Premier Line saves you time at the airport and make travel more convenient by providing you access to the Premier check-in line, the priority security line and priority boarding. By boarding early, Premier Line customers can be assured of overhead bin space for their carry-on bags. Premier Line is available for United-operated flights departing from all airports within the United States.

We conducted extensive research while designing Premier Line, which included closely measuring and monitoring the flow and traffic of our elite member lines at every airport. Based on that research, we put strong inventory controls in place for this service. Currently we do not offer Premier Line for Toronto; however other airports may be added in the future.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you onboard a United flight soon.

Regards,

United Airlines Customer Relations"

23. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I did not know this. Will keep my AmEx Plat card handy when traveling up there.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So they read your query and actually responded to it. What were you expecting?!?!

From NYC likes this.
  25. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, something more close to the truth, like "OK so we are too cheap to give you this benefit in one of the largest cities in North America...go suck a lemon". But, I guess that's what they did say.