No Duty Free Liquids to USA

Discussion in 'HKG | Hong Kong International Airport' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was rather surprised you cannot buy any - they won't even deliver them to the plane. :( Fortunately CX had what I was about to buy, onboard, although I didn't know it at the time I was not allowed to purchase anything.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused, were you arriving at your final destination directly from HKG or did you have a domestic connection in the US?

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canada allows certain countries (generally in Europe) to package duty-free liquids in tamper evident sealed packages, which can then go through security to make the domestic connection. For some reason, HKG is not on the list of approved countries.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was HKG/SFO nonstop. No liquid purchases allowed.

5. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems to be a HKG thing. If I fly HKG-SYD/MEL I can't get duty free booze. SIN-MEL/SYD is no problem though. Same to the USA. MEL/SYD/BNE-LAX I can purchase duty free booze after security and take it (although I never do as local bevmo prices are less than the prices the Nuance owned stores here in AU gouge us for).

6. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, if I'm flying on UA metal to NRT, SIN or SGN, what's the story?
    I ask because, although completely different (mostly), a DL flight between PEK-NRT saw my recently purchased water get confiscated.