No Continental *A redemption?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by juris43, Nov 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. juris43

juris43 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book a business award flight from AKL-SJU next year using Krisflyer miles, with the ANA Tool showing availability via LAX/SFO (NZ) and EWR/IAH (CO).

However, I was told by two different call center staff that I can't redeem for CO flights after December 2011 as CO is ceasing to be a SQ/*A partner airline. So, I can get to LAX in business with NZ, but the remainder of the flight will need to be in Y, as only US and UA flights are available, and I cannot fly "first" class on US or UA, as this would amount to a first class redemption.

I tried explaining that CO and UA are merging, but was simply advised that CO flights are not available for redemption.

Has anyone had a similar experience? It seems SQ has got this wrong, but perhaps it reflects possible change to flight numbers in the new year. Any suggestions on how we can access CO flights, rather that endure about 12 hours in Y on UA/US?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow, SQ is just completely wrong on this. And with the UA/CO merger, UA will actually be moving to I inventory rather than O (business rather than first) for domestic forward-cabin award inventory. Which means you'll be able to use United first class on a business class award without spending more miles.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. juris43

juris43 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gleff for your reply. I have tried SQ again, and was told the same info: CO is leaving *A, and therefore can't redeem award flights using KF miles. I asked the CSR to show me where on the SQ website it says CO cannot be booked. He couldn't, and instead I was told to email feedback to SQ, which I did a few days ago. Will wait and see!

4. juris43

juris43 Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I received a telephone call from KF on my query. The agent advised me that CO will cease to be an SQ partner after 31 December, but he could not say whether CO was leaving *A. I asked where this information can be found on the SQ website, given the partnership is set to end in 6 weeks. The agent confirmed that the website "has not been updated yet". I asked whether SQ was aware of CO and UA merging, and was advised that SQ has no information on that.
    So, appears no redemption for CO flights using KF points, but don't expect to read it on SQ's website!

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agents are in fact correct CO will be leaving *A only because Continental as an airline will no longer exist once the merger integration is complete. They are currently working on a single operation certificate and soon all the flights will become UA # flights and there will be no more CO# flights. I think the internal memo that SQ has published is probably confusing the agents and may be written in a way where it looks like CO is leaving *A.