No airline refund after fiance dies

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || No airline refund after fiance dies ||

A sad case, the airline could show some heart, I know it's a business, but it's all about humans here too.

free101girl, Aktchi, OY-JFS and 5 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, what kind of a woman would pursue such trifling matter right after losing her fiance?

Aktchi, OY-JFS, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems she needs the money to pay for her late fiances funeral. The pair doesn't sound wealthy. It's not a matter of "trifle" it's more a matter with our daily reality. Some implicate the woman, who has lost a loved one, I implicate the airline for NOT doing the "right" thing.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with you on this. Also, one way to cope is one step at a time, including putting affairs in order. Cancel the wedding, cancel the flight, notify the wedding guests... that stuff all needs to be done, focusing on it help her get through the first few days.

Sometimes, even if you don't want to deal with those things, they have to get done. Then, in the middle of it, hitting something like a bad airline attitude, on top of all the other stress and grief, can really be rough.

Also, it appears she bought a whole package (air and hotel) from Allegian, and she's out $1000.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points as well. I had assumed that an Allegian ticket would be around $100, which is trivial compared to both wedding and funeral expenses.

6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even then, would legacy carriers to any different than Allegiant?

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably NOT.

The article states further:

Or maybe, while sympathy doesn't equal a refund, it's possible that Delta would do the right thing, kudos to them. <<When this really is the case>>

marcwint55 and General_Flyer like this.
  8. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.. One may only surmise but never expect..

uggboy likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the FT type comments we see in this thread ....yes some airlines will show some compassion.

Two similar examples that I personally am aware of :
    1) Wifes co-worker who was to accompany us on a trip to Germany passed away after a what was supposed to be a routine operation.
    Since I did the planning and booked the trip I called AA explained the situation and they fully refunded the ticket without a cancel fee.

2) Brother-law diagnosed with lymphoma had to cancel a New Years trip to Philadelphia on a ticket that was purchased in July 2012 ( was cancelled in December) sent them a letter from his doctor saying he would be unable to travel before the usual I year re-use of a previously cancelled ticket (again I did the booking) USair refunded the full ticket cost just last week to my credit card.

So no need for surmising here:)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/reservations/refunds/refund.aspx

United will refund change fees and tickets in certain cases. All requests must be received before the expiration of your ticket and must be accompanied by proper documentation (see below). If the refund request is approved, a refund, minus a $50 USD processing fee*, will be provided to the original form of payment. This policy applies in the case of illness or death of the traveler, traveling companion, or immediate family member, as well as customers actively on jury duty at the time of planned travel.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    http://www2.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees

Cancellations:

Air Only Bookings without Trip Flex: If you choose to cancel your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure without the purchase of Trip Flex, a fee of $50.00 per segment, per person will apply. Credit is issued minus cancellation, carrier charges and booking fees. The remaining funds will be applied as non-refundable credit voucher good for future travel on Allegiant Travel.

Standard Air and Hotel Package without Trip Flex:If you choose to cancel your reservation up to 15 days prior to departure without the purchase of Trip Flex, a fee of $75.00 per segment, per person will apply. Credit is issued minus cancellation, carrier charges and booking fees. The remaining funds will be applied as non-refundable credit voucher good for future travel on Allegiant Travel.

Trip Flex
    Avoid most change and cancellation fees. Protect your travel purchase with Allegiant's Trip Flex.

Flight Only or Car Packages (per person, per segment)
    $11.50

Hotel Packages or Itineraries with Products (per person)
    $37.00

General_Flyer likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's indeed amazing that many MP members seem to have lost their social components, I'm glad you made better experiences with airlines in regards to the above mentioned cases, I'm sure many posters here would be the first to complain should something happen to them, their spouses, friends or family members.

It's difficult to get people here to agree that when a human being is in need and needs help, that they support the human being, too many are in love with the machine. The social component seems to be missing and some here love to hide behind regulations and rules, even when they know that some rules are stupid anyway.

Slow_Mustang and General_Flyer like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Playing Devil's advocate...

Let's say you run a small bed and breakfast, and you took a non-refundable booking from a couple for a week at $1000. And then, shortly before their arrival, they cancel because of a death. Let's further say you have no chance of reselling that room at short notice.

Would you refund the $1000?

General_Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oddly, many independent business owners go sometimes way beyond the norm and I bet some would show more sympathy / empathy than Allegiant Air has. Also of note while your case here is interesting, sadly that's only another attempt of letting us know you're with the rules and dismiss this real case of the fiance who now has all the pain of burying him instead of marrying her future husband. As I have said above, rules can be rules, but sometimes we need people who go beyond, even when such people are rare on MP.

From my experience, when my father in law died after a long drawn out illness, we had to fly too and needed a hotel near the airport, some hotel employees showed empathy after learning the reason for our flight, plus the hotel has given us a discount for staying with them. [ unprompted, after learning this ] That's of course not the same as stated in your case above, but it only shows that every little helps in such [ sad ] situations.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you are not going to answer my question?

LETTERBOY and General_Flyer like this.
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, when my father in law died after a long drawn out illness, we had to fly too and needed a hotel near the airport, some hotel employees showed empathy after learning the reason for our flight, plus the hotel has given us a discount for staying with them. [ unprompted, after learning this ] That's of course not the same as stated in your case above, but it only shows that every little helps in such [ sad ] situations.

This would be my answer. I would give my "profit" towards a refund, even when it's a non-refundable rate. As I stated in my real case above / below, every little helps and I'm sure this kind of sympathy / empathy is welcomed, even when it isn't a full refund, I would only keep what I needed to overcome the loss of income, minus profit.

We also had a case with another hotel when our plans changed, but we had booked already a non-refundable rate with them on their website. In the end we weren't charged from the hotel.

17. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is always the notion that business is business is business.. Unforeseen circumstances such as this may trigger some feeling of sympathy and/or empathy, and is based on the subjectivity of being right or wrong or rather, implying the right and the wrong thing to do.

Some points also include the legality of the airlines' actions, which it seems the airline is turning towards. All other feelings and reactions are purely within the airline's rights, and whether it is the right or wrong thing to do, me you and others can be the judge on that.

In the long run, the debate will still continue, and as well as the ethics and the humanitarian reasons behind all the arguments. It is always the realization of whether they are just acting by their rules, which to them is perfectly justifiable, or acting above and beyond their rules state, which to us is perfectly justifiable, given the circumstances.

Just my $0.02...

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a fair solution, in my opinion. You're basically opting to not profit from the situation, but you are looking to have your costs covered, if I understood you correctly.

Where I was going with my question is: would you eat the $1000? If I was the guest, I wouldn't expect you, the B&B owner, to incur that large of a cost because of my sad situation. A follow-up question might have been something around "What if you had previously offered the guests a refundable rate of $1100 -- would that change the situation?"

I am actually surprised that Allegiant doesn't have a "no cancellations, period", policy (especially given that they probably have a harder time filling seats at the last minute than regular airlines). Those who read the actual article know that Allegiant offered a reschedule + name change for $50 (x2?). I would have a expected a "use it or lose it" reply.

MX, General_Flyer and uggboy like this.
  19. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input, while the debate will probably continue forever surrounding the practices of businesses incl. airlines, let's only hope that the individuals who stand by or behind such businesses and all the rules which this entails will always find a way / be the majority who go beyond the stated norm, for humanities sake at least. That's worth fighting for, as they say.

MX and General_Flyer like this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, as the owner of the B&B in your case I would have stand to my decision and would go with this solution, [ even when there was another offer on the table like $1100 refundable rate before ] refund is profits minus cost = both parties are happy. Such positive behavior can usually seen for real by many smaller businesses / with exceptions of course / but rarely by large corporations who play by their self-written rulebooks.

IMHO, Allegiant has lost all credibility in my eyes, even when they tried to "heal" this situation.

21. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We and all of humanity have conscience and morality. As you said, these are the fights worth fighting for. Not because it is within the legal limitation, but because it is the right thing to do. Other justifications are in all things, secondary.

And I also believe in the eyes of so many others. It is the power of the people that drives businesses to do at least the most justifiable things, even though just to save their butts from bad reps and loss revenues.

uggboy likes this.
  22. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to stop reading the back and forth to keep my sanity. Some people have become too hardened with age, and it is all about rules for them.

General_Flyer and uggboy like this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assume you mean refund is revenue minus cost (= profit)? So if your B&B "operating" costs for that room were $800 for the week, you'd refund $200.

With profit margins where they are these days for airlines (example), that type of refund from Allegiant probably wouldn't make the passenger happy. I suspect they were expecting a full refund, perhaps minus a small fee. Similar to what UA's policy is as I quoted above.

24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should have my thinking a little bit clearer formulated here, of course, operating costs [ I would keep ] and the profit [ which was to be made on the booking ] I would refund. Keeping in mind this was an example for a small individual B&B operation, regarding Allegiant, they're an airline, a real case in which a human being died [ unexpected ] and this should be a reason that they at least offer a refund, even when they charge a fee to do so.

We shall also not forget that it wasn't only about a flight refund, here we speak about a package refund which included also a hotel room in Las Vegas, which of course isn't needed anymore. As I said earlier, even when Allegiant would now offer a more human / positive solution a bitter taste would linger on about this airline and it's handling of the case, rulebook or not. Darn, a human being died here, what else needs the airline to know, to find a reasonable solution?

25. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a good friend who had tickets to Seattle on Alaska for a weekend trip with his wife, and she got ill that weekend and they could not go. I suggested he call and explain, and they refunded the flights to a voucher for him. Considering they had to do absolutely nothing, giving him his money back to reuse on another flight was very generous. Considering the circumstances in the article, I don't see that it is that unlikely other airlines would have refunded the ticket. Honestly, from my experience though, Allegiant is like Spirit...generally a bottom feeder low grade airline where you get what you pay for.