No 500-mile UGs for domestic J -> F?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Jul 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying EZE-MIA-LAX-DEN in paid J for the EZE-MIA (772) and MIA-LAX (772) legs. I called AA as soon as I made the reservation and put myself of the UG list for the international portion to F, which would then apply to the domestic, as well. However, if the international UG doesn't come through I'd still like to try for F on MIA-LAX using "stickers", but my reservation shows the upgrade for that flight as N/A, even though it's a three-class a/c and I'm in J.

Called AA and they said that the international upgrade will apply to domestic flight etc etc. but that they couldn't put me on the list for J to F on the domestic leg. Is this a case of keep calling back until I get the answer I want, or is it true? You can buy Y, J and F for the MIA-LAX flight, so I would presume you could upgrade from J to F, as well. AA.com only addresses using 500-mile UGs for Y to F, so maybe they just don't apply in this situation?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's true, unfortunately for your upgrade desires.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/500mileUpgrades.jsp

"You may upgrade from a purchased Economy Class ticket to First Class on eligible domestic flights with two classes of service or to Business Class on eligible flights with three classes of service."

zpaul and JonNYC like this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I would wonder what the difference in service would be between J and F domestically, other than the hard product, then. Is it as marked as the difference between J and F long-haul, or is it the same service and just different seats?

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading thru the description, it appears as if you are upgrading to business on the international segments which would continue thru the domestic segments, thus is not truly a J-Class ticket. And you want to upgrade the domestic from the business.

If that is correct, you would be trying to upgrade an upgrade, and I don't remember AA ever allowing that.

You might try to find out if AA will allow you to purchase an upgrade from Coach to Business on the Domestic Segment, which you might be able to upgrade with stickers. But that would probably entail a substantial cost increase from the Coach Ticket..

zpaul likes this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Mapsmith,

I have a paid J ticket, which I am trying to upgrade to F; sorry I wasn't more clear (I just re-read my original post and understand the confusion). International J books into domestic F on two-class a/c for connections, but since my first domestic connection is on a three-class 772, my purchased cabin is matched J to J, so I was hoping to make it into F domestically even if I don't get the international upgrade.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than systemwide upgrades, there are no instruments to upgrade J to F.

Mapsmith and zpaul like this.
  7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, so no upgrading from J to F on a domestic three-class bird.

What's the difference between J and F? Other than the hard product, reading some other threads it sounds like it's the same food, etc, and no amenity kits (I presume).

And, it also looks like if there's space available, statused (yeah, I just made that up - that's what you get for me having two glasses of wine at lunch) pax who are in paid J get bumped up to F on domestic flights pretty regularly, anyway. True?

I've got the international thing down...it's this new domestic dilemma that's freaking me out! Thanks for your help and patience!

Mapsmith likes this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification.

zpaul likes this.
  9. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles + copay

zpaul likes this.
  10. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct-- not at all limited to SWU. Miles + co-pay work just fine.
    BXP1 (business extrAA award) can't imagine wouldn't do the trick as well

zpaul and John777 like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always forget about Miles+Copay... even though I've used it before. I guess I just don't think of it as an instrument. Good catch.

zpaul likes this.
  12. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought Miles + Copay was only for international. I don't know if the value prop is there for 25,000 mi + $550 for domestic J to F. Which brings me back to asking: What IS the difference between J and F on a domestic flight (other than the seat)?

13. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's -not- how much it is for a miles+co-pay on a domestic flight-- not even close. You might wanna check out AA.com.

zpaul likes this.
  14. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry! Too stuck in my own little SCL/EZE world down here. Thanks for getting me back on track. But still...is 15,000mi + $175 worth it?

15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    So...just to keep harping on this...what IS the difference between domestic J and F? I can't find anything about it anywhere, and I'd like to make a somewhat informed decision. Is it the same as international service? Or is F just a different seat with the same food and service as J?

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I understand it's a 3-class F seat with 2-class (domestic) F catering. I'll know this weekend, I'm in F on the 77W for a special hop from SAN to JFK.

zpaul likes this.
  17. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you're done! That's what I thought - standard domestic F for both J and F cabins, the only difference being the seat and Flagship lounge access.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, I wouldn't have FL lounge access because I'm on a two-class domestic flight (even though it's a three-class bird).

zpaul likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The bigger logistical issue being that there's no FL in SAN. :)

JonNYC and zpaul like this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but isn't there one in JFK?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

zpaul likes this.
  21. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one-off SAN-JFK 77W flight is sold and serviced as a two-class flight. zpaul is asking about MIA-LAX on the 772, which is three-class with enhanced service in F, similar to the 762s on JFK-LAX.

That being said, it's not a huge difference. An extra entree option and better wine in F vs. J. It's really about the seat (Flagship Suite is leagues above the 772 J seat) and better service...if you're lucky.

zpaul likes this.
  22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. Got my flights crossed. Yes, then, MIA-LAX will be the suite. Personally, though I've never been to a FL other than ORD, I really like the joint lounge in MIA.

zpaul likes this.
  23. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks to the OWMD I got to use the FL in LAX on my way home after the event. It was nice, but very quiet when I was there, which I suppose is a draw for some - I like to people-watch a bit more, but the self-serve champagne kept me in my place! My return to EZE on this same leg is in F, so I'm looking forward to trying out the JFK FL and the MIA joint lounge when I return the next month.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but who wants to hang around the airport when you've already arrived at your destination? Especially one like NYC? ;)

25. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, but my destination is EZE; I'm connecting through JFK.