no 24 hour grace period for fee free changes to reservations?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by jfhscott, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    This morning, I spent 25 minutes on the phone with a very helpful ticket agent, using 120000 miles for what I seem an awesome itinerary in December:

IAD-FRA in LH first

long layover to scoot up to Cologne

FRA-TXL in LH business

2 day stopover

TXL-MUC in LH business

long layover to see a bit of Munich

MUC-BKK in TG first

(end of outbound)

BKK-NRT in TG first

layover in NRT

NRT-ICN in UA first

stopover

ICN-JFK in OZ first followed by return to IAD in UA Y.

I had used the ANA tool extensively prior to booking, which made things easy.

ANYWAY:

RANT ON:

the dates on the TXL-MUC-BKK portions ended up a day later than I wanted, and I realized this within 10 minutes of tickeing when I got the emailed itinerary. I called back, and moved them with no problem, except for a $90 reticketing fee. I have no status, but would like to think that under the circumstances my request for a fee waiver would have been granted. I should like to know what the labor burden with this change really was, although that does not necessarily "define" what the fee should be.

RANT OFF

janyyc and East_Yorker like this.
  2. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    There SHOULD be a 24 hour grace. As always - hang up and call again. :)

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never tried the 24H grace period with AP tickets, though, only AC revenue tickets.

4. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still, doesn't hurt to hang up and try again... If you have the patience, that is! :p

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And if you can reasonably argue that the agent made an error on the date of that segment..

sobore and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- as described it is very reasonable.
    There should not be a reticketing fee in the case described.

7. let us know how it works out... wow no way they should charge a fee.

8. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes there should be a 24 hour grace period, however the facts are that while Air Canada offers a 24 hour grace period, Aeroplan does not - even if the itinerary is booked on AC.

9. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    ya no aeroplan 24 hr grace period.. i learned the hard way.. was in a hurry to book before their offices closed at midnight called in around 11:50pm Eastern time, and got them to book the flight, but i accidently chose the wrong flight.. by the time i realized i had to call back the next morning and i was told the bad news $90 per ticket to make the change...
    hard lesson learnt..

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...At least you weren't told "sorry you're stuck with what you booked, no other flights have Classic award availability kindly cough up $90 plus 500,000 points to do your requested change."

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must cop to having suffered from this policy too. Having last night booked a similarly complex itinerary for October to tie up with my HKG-IST-LAX-IST-HKG TK Comfort Class bargain MR, I received the ticket by email only to discover that the agent had booked me on UA ex-FRA to IAD instead of the LH flight I had given her. No way I would not take LH in F ex-FRA and miss out on a preflight lunch (and single malt tasting) in the First Class Terminal and limo ride out to the plane! Had to cough up another $90+HST in addition to the $259 in fees/taxes I had already paid for my YYZ-BOS-MUC-FRA-KIX-PEK-HKG-ICN-FRA-IAD-YYZ. (Still about what a one-way on AC metal across the ocean would have cost after the fuel surcharge was added in. Oh well, I'll recoup it in my next dividend payment!)

12. write a letter AP say they record calls make them look it up :)

13. I find that a disgusting policy with AE and I beleive you could win a consumer complaint battle if you so choose to do so. Their agents are far from being rocket scientists and if I had a complex itin. I would ask for it in writing before commiting to the ticket. I beleive they do that if requested.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm already taking AC to small claims court, not sure I need the hassle with AE over $90. (It's a price I am happy to pay to fly LH in F over UA in F, and spend a few more hours in the First Class Terminal at FRA.) I should have had the agent read back each segment before sending out the ticket, lesson learned. If AE didn't have all these charges, it would not be able to keep raising its dividend and generating a healthy profit! I want to see it gouge all the dollars it can from those naive souls who are redeeming their miles!

15. so you are paying them to give you a dividend? Great strategy.:confused: