NJ Frequent Flyer University

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Apr 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked the itinerary and it said that I should have received an email asking which sessions I wanted to attend on Sunday. Tried to email them using the "Contact Us" button but it wouldn't lead anywhere.

Has anyone received the email asking for choices? Any idea if there is anything I should be doing to make the most of this weekend's experience?

Thanks.

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should have gotten this email.

"Dear FT University participant,
    Thank you again for your support.
    I posted in the thread on milepoint about Sunday's program and because some of you don't read the boards that often (shame on you ) I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to sign up for any groups on Sunday, it will be handled by us.
    It turns out that since most of the hotel programs will be interacting with many of us on Friday at the Randy Petersen Travel Executive Summit and also at the Freddies on Thursday,we've only been able to get a few programs to commit for Sunday. Don't worry, we've worked very hard on the Sunday program and it will be awesome.
    Looking forward to catching up with everyone this upcoming, very exciting week"

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - but not impressive. Hope they can deliver.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they will have people there but is it is a Thurs-Sunday event I think they might lose some less dedicated programs along the way.

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just upsetting since when I signed up, it was a two day, Sat-Sun event. Oh well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still is. Thu was the Freddies. Different location, different program. There is a booze bash tonight for those who're already at the Sheraton meadowlands, though.

aptraveler and perryplatypus like this.
  7. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    After the booze bash people will be signing up for a different AA Program!

8. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then we'll find out who the real AA EXP are.

wrxmom, perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    No worries, people who know me knows they will ALWAYS have a great time and get their moneys worth ;).

The Sunday program will be great even if we had to abandon our Sunday morning program to include the loyalty programs. Unfortunately, the Freddies and the Randy Petersen Travel Executive Summit made it very hard for the travel honchos to show up.

BUT we have an awesome program for Sunday and commitments from multiple programs to show up at the FTU in December

perryplatypus, wrxmom, desamo and 2 others like this.
  10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tommy. I'm sure it will be fine. Want it to be so good I'll look forward to returning.

perryplatypus likes this.
  11. Brett Diamond

Brett Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a free airport shuttle going to the Sheraton Meadowlands? If not, what is the best option?

12. Au4882

Au4882 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a free shuttle from the Secaucus Junction train station. You would have to take the New Jersey Transit train from EWR to Secaucus.

It (the hotel shuttle) runs every 15 minutes until 6:45pm. Then every hour at quarter till until 11:45pm. After that, you've gotta cab it. Just called the hotel for this info.

perryplatypus likes this.
  13. Archeyes

Archeyes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone flying into EWR this evening? I'm on my way and get there at 5pm.
    Was hoping to attend the reception this evening.

14. RonF
    Original Member

RonF Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I did learn some things I didn't know and met some great people, I was a little underwhelmed.

The positives: Daraius, Seth, Gary and best credit card show down.

The negatives: It seemed thrown together at last minute (two presenters stated they were just asked the day of to speak). The hotel was not conveinant (as far as transportation goes).

Randy was a super nice guy and very accessible.

That's my feedback YMMV.

15. Mark Schroeder

Mark Schroeder Active Member

Status Points:
    Great time this weekend. Only could stay one day. Shout out to the presenters, organizers, and milepointer Jesse (from Wilmington, DE) for introducing yourself to me and others. Jesse, if you are reading, it was great to meet you.

Is there going to be a collection of screen shots of the slide decks ( I saw lots of photo snapping) ? Or better yet, the decks themselves?

wrxmom, perryplatypus and druiddation like this.
  16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good experience and glad I went. I was totally unprepared for how far some people traveled to get here! I met more people from California than NJ where I live!

Seemed to break down to two types of people - true road warriors with issues mostly centering around how airlines treated them and elite situations, and people like me who do leisure travel and see these meetings, FT, MP and the bloggers as a way to learn to amass loads of miles and make the most of them. Can't say I cam away with any epiphanies but there were certainly a couple of tips. The chance to hear Randy speak for an hours was a privilege.
    Tommy is a pisser and spent the two days trying to be as even-handed and fair as possible. It is also clear that the people involved are truly committed to helping and love this stuff.

To sum it all up, Randy hit it in the head. The airlines will continue to make things harder and harder for us and we, as an extended group of "fans" FTers MPers and bloggers, will figure out ways around each new roadblock. The rules may change but the game goes on. Happy trails!

17. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    For being the first time I attended a MP event, the whole experience of the FT University was truly surreal to me. Not only did I have a great time meeting all sorts of people who are really passionate about traveling, regardless if it is for work or leisure; but also very committed to making the most of each journey. I learn new tips and tricks of the trade, and I truly enjoyed the atmosphere of camaraderie among the attendees, even if at times the whole event seemed a bit "thrown together at last minute" as has already been stated. Meeting Randy was a thrill and he shared with me that the LA gathering will certainly be more organized, and more varied both in topics and speakers. So, book me on that flight to LA for here I come! ;)

18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    These major educational DOs are a great place to learn. If you want to continue learning, next time there's a local dinner or DO, make it a point to attend. You'd be surprised at the things you'll learn. :cool: