Nikon s8100 or Panasonic ZS7 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to get a point/shoot cam to compliment my SLR for an upcoming trip. I've narrowed down to the nikon s8100 and the Panasonic ZS7. The nikon has the edge on HD video ability, and has the CMOS processor. Am curious if anyone has any real world experience with either.

Thanks!

2. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the S8100 and had a ZS7 - Both look great on paper, but performance in the Nikon is a little sluggish when compared to the ZS7. Zoom on the Panasonic is a little better, and it is faster, but its video is weaker. But when push comes to shove, it all comes down to price compared to features, and if you can find the S8100 for around $220 or less you really have two pretty great cameras.

Other pros of the S8100 - Eye-Fi card support. Pros of the ZS7 - GPS (battery hog!!)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and can I add a third option for you to consider? The Canon SX210IS is a very worth contender, and in the same price range.

Also, remember that while 1080p video sounds great, the files are a pain to work with and often don't look any better than 720p.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

Thanks for the advice. never did consider the canon (have older panasonic point/shoot and nikon DSLR) so I'll look there too. Thanks for the heads up on the HD quality. I tend to be a sucker for numbers sometimes.

5. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too - but when it comes to HD video, you simply can't get decent HD from such a small sensor. I find a good quality 720p clip to look better than many of the 1080p's out there.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've googled through some of the options and then of course see that the zs10 is coming out in March that seems to combine the attributes of the zs7 and the s8100. specifically the zs10 will have a cmos processor and will now have 16x optical. I think it may be worth the wait.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are not mentioning whether GPS tagging is important? I like my ZS7, although night shots can be lacking and GPS might take a while to lock-on. Daytime shots are rather good. Nikon starts off at rather pathetic 30mm equivalent while ZS7 starts at 25mm wide, which was the main reason I chose it. If you don't care much about shots in close quarters, you should be okay, although 30mm is just about guaranteed to cause you trouble.

If you are considering upcoming products, besides ZS10, there is also Nikon S9100 (18x zoom), Olympus SZ-1 (18x), Olympus VR330 (12.5x but wider) and Canon SX230 (14x). Probably a couple more out there.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was going to wait to at least see the zs10, but thanks for the info on the s9100 and others. More to look at.

9. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you make your choice ?
    I'm interesting in the Nikon S9100 or the Panasonic ZS10 so I'd like to have your advice.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I went with the ZS10 - had it on several trips and it is outstanding. Just as good as my D5000 SLR. Great pics, even at extreme zoom, plus HD video is fantastic. The Nikon when I tried it, seemed to struggle with focusing. The ZS10 doesnt flinch.

G_G and bakedpatato like this.