Nikon D7000 vs. Pentax K5

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Hoping someone has gone through the tough decision that I need to make as well.

Contemplating getting a D7000, but the the Pentax K5 shows up and has me in a virtual tie in my mind for which to get. Pentax looks technically better, Nikon has its pedigree.

Anyone work through this decision?

thx

Gaucho likes this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the D7000 is a SLR, then you will have existing hardware considerations to weigh in on this decision....

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ergonomics and lens/accessory availability (or any existing investment) are major considerations for an SLR purchase. Technical minutia tend to fade over time. Specific functional superiority may carry the day, but if you just feel the Pentax has "better specs" I'd take a closer look at the details. If possible, find somewhere where you can handle both and also consider what lenses and accessories you might want down the road, and what Pentax and Nikon offer in that area. If you're OK with used lenses, consider availability there also.

4. Both are good cameras. If you have Nikon lenses, preserve your investment and buy the Nikon D7000. You obviously love Nikon then and won't go wrong. If you don't have any Nikon lenses, then you have a real choice. Head to head they appear to be very close with K5 just pipping the D7K at the post. Not sure if you held them both. I did. For one thing, it is smaller, but not small and I liked that. Ergonomics wise, again K5. All that you need is at your fingertips. Shutter/Aperture/ISO/EV Comp, Focus, Exposure lock, etc. I thought the K5 looked to be built better and the reviews on the web agree. IQ, I am sure they are both very good, but there are many reveiws that say the K5 is better. As far as RAW images go and if you prefer to take RAW pics, K5, according to DXO marks is the King of the APS-C format currently. If you want to take a lot of videos, it is not as good as the D7K. The latter has dedicated buttons and has autofocus. On the other hand K5 can work with any Pentax lens ever made (albeit with some restrictions). I could use my 20 year old lens without any problem though you can't use manual apertures. However shake reduction is built in the camera providing that advantage to any lens, unlike the Nikon ones where you have to get VR lens.

As I said, both are good cameras, but if the K5 has caught your attention, go for it. You will not regret it. I got it with the 35 mm 2.4 prime lens (instead of the kit) and according to DXO marks again, it is probably the only lens you will need with this! I am told the kit lens is not bad at all. The best thing of course is the noise or lack of it at ISO6400! That is just awesome. If you can freeze a moving object at dusk without flash and hardly any noise, the pain you feel is your facial muscles aching from that constant wide grin of joy on your face - priceless!

Lufthansa Flyer and bakedpatato like this.
  5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took a trip to a camera store recently and surprise surprise I played around with both.
    Being a M4/3 owner(just picked up a GH2) I don't really have a horse in this race but the Pentax called out to me. Indeed, it feels better in your hands and the lens flexibility is nice. Really though, I say it boils down to how much you can get them for or if you're already invested in glass.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the insights. i went ahead and got the d7000 primarily because of the nikon system and wide variety of glass and other accessories. i also suspect that nikon will be more aggressive with upgrading their models which makes any equipment bought today still usable with evolving cameras. i have a hunch that pentax wont intro new cameras as quickly as nikon might. I had the d5000 and sold it to a friend complete with a few lenses, so i was already leaning a bit to go with nikon again,.