Nikon Coolpix S8100 Lens Error

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by garyst16, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a long time Nikon user and love my D90 DSLR camera so much so that when I needed a small point and shoot, I decided to pick up a Coolpix 8100. It has worked wonderfully for the last 8 months...that is...until I arrived in Hawaii.

I decided against taking my D90 with me (first mistake) because it is a rather large camera with the autowind/battery holder, flash, and telephoto/zoom lens. It takes incredible pictures, but with everything else we were taking on the trip, I decided against the big camera and opted for the point and shoot.

We arrived at the house we rented on Sunset Beach on the North Shore of Oahu. The sun was slowly setting on the Pacific, so I asked my children to come out on the patio so that I could get the first picture of our family vacation...only to have the lens on the S8100 open, attempt to focus, and freeze...with the dreaded message appearing on the LCD, "Lens Error"!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how one could personally fix this error, or am I screwed and forced to buy another camera while in Hawaii? Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure that the battery is sufficiently charged?

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, SC Flier...charged it prior to leaving home, but will try charging it again...thanks for the thought

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems from looking around that this is a common problem with the Coolpix line. Either sand/grit can get into the lens or an impact can misalign the gears and prevent it from extending.

I've seen similar posts to what was said above... try to manually force the lens to come out as you turn the camera on, which can be difficult because of the clearance.

This guy actually took a scalpel to an S210 and used it as a lever to pry the lens out as he was turning the camera on and apparently that worked. It's a different model, but the general idea along the camera line seems to be that you need to "make it" open to unjam it then everything should be good.

http://amanmusthaveaproject.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/nikon-coolpix-s210-lens-error/

garyst16 and SC Flier like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Nikon's website:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15978

Why does my camera show "lens error" on the screen?
    Having a "Lens error" message display on the camera's LCD display indicates a problem with the camera lens mechanism. This situation generally requires that the camera be sent to a Nikon Service Department for repair. Before doing this however, be sure to check these situations below:
    1. One possible reason for this error is if the camera is switched on and the lens unit is prevented from extending. The camera will struggle for a second to extend the lens, then report the problem. Inspect the lens for any obvious obstruction, then turn the camera off, then on again. Usually, simply switching the camera Off then On again is enough to correct this problem.
    2. Remove and recharge the battery. Retest.
    If this does not help, then we regret the camera must be sent to our Nikon Service department as there are no user serviceable parts on Nikon Coolpix cameras.
    To find your local Nikon authorized service agent Click Here.
    We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can to repair your Nikon camera as quickly as possible.

garyst16 and viguera like this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, viguera, I have just the opposite problem, my lens is extended and frozen in place... thanks for the post

SC Flier likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I think that's the same issue though... that the camera can't either fully extend or retract the lens. Some of the stuff I've seen says try pulling and rotating the lens as you turn the camera on (in case it's not fully extended) to sort of unjam it.

[​IMG]

SC Flier and garyst16 like this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder then if when you turn it on, does it normally fully extend and then immediately partially retract? If so, then does it maybe need to be pulled out to fully extend again in order to reset/realign?

I wonder also if the hotel front desk might have a lost-and-found box full of unclaimed cameras from which you could borrow? ;)

viguera and garyst16 like this.
  11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Viguera - that did the trick! A very slight and gentle twist on the lens and it retracted!! Awesome! Thanks so much for the post! Saved me a lot of grief and shelling out some extra money that I really didn't want to spend!!

:D

chrislacey, viguera and SC Flier like this.
  12. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, a slight "twist" of the lens did indeed un-jam it! working great now!

Unfortunately, the "lost and found" at the hotel wouldn't work on this trip, we rented a house on Sunset Beach!

SC Flier likes this.
  13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news! Enjoy your vacation!

viguera and garyst16 like this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my line of thinking as well... I absolutely hate that type of camera that goes through all the motions before you can take a pic, but I can see the value in it. I love my DSLR, but I hate looking like a tourist lugging it around everywhere. :)

SC Flier and garyst16 like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out! Enjoy your vacation!

SC Flier, viguera and garyst16 like this.
  16. JerseyGuy

JerseyGuy New Member

Status Points:
    Bought 2 similar cameras and both crashed with the dreaded LENS ERROR. Nikon initially fixed for free but same happened a few months later and now they want to charge me. Obviously they produced an inferior product and refuse to acknowledge such. I have not seen an online fix that works. Believe me I've looked. Stay away.

garyst16 likes this.
  17. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine is still working after the fix that Vigeura recommended...fingers are crossed!