Nighcap by the airport - HNL

Discussion in 'HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH/MKK/LNY | Hawaii Regional Airports' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    For better or worse, I'm spending a night at the Best Western Plaza next month - it just makes no sense to go into Waikiki for a 9:40PM arrival and an 8:00 AM departure. As best as I can tell, that hotel's restaurant will be closed, and there is no bar. I don't expect that much, save the burger place next door, will be open. Is there anyplace open (including perhaps a hotel bar that isn't advertised on their site) within a short walk, to get a nightcap before zzzzztime?

Mahalo!

2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the late response, hope it's not too late! There is not a lot to choose from in the area of the Best Western Plaza, but there is one bar, Lisa's House, a few blocks away. I have not been there, so you'll have to rely on the reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/lisas-house-honolulu

Here it is on Google maps: http://g.co/maps/zvmgt

I should probably mention that the street lighting in this area has been out for months now (that's another story) and it is REALLY dark walking around here at night. Think twice about this.

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can read all about the trip, including the trip to Lisa's House, here.
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/paradise-never-found-a-trip-to-paradise-ish.29277/

TheBeerHunter and HiIslands like this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to hear you survived the walk between the Best Western Plaza and Lisa's House. Perhaps some year the State Department of Transportation will repair the street lights in the area.

Next time, stay a little longer and a little further away from the airport if flight schedules permit. If you need help finding reasonably priced accommodations during peak weekends you can always message me.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that due to some vandals/thieves stealing copper cables? I seem to recall hearing some story on TV when I was in HNL in January. I really wish they'd electrocute themselves in the process (and I generally don't wish bad things on people).

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sad to say you are correct. But that's still no excuse for not repairing the problem.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mahalo - actually I've been to HNL somewhere between 60 and 70 times - this was really for the miles, and the closest available lodging to HNL.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How much was that flight?

9. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's only a long block to Mitch's Fish Market for sushi and sashimi. Had lunch there last week, amazing food! Might be worth another mileage run.

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Too much, but the second ticket was $99 with the companion fare.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in a similar situation as the OP, arriving HNL at 9.30pm and departing at 5.25am, so staying at the HNL Airport Hotel. Their restaurant closes at 9pm as well and we are looking for a place to get a drink. Would it be safe to walk to and from Lisa's from there?

Also it appears that Byron's has closed. Are there any other food options in the immediate vicinity?

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lisa's was a quick and safe enough walk. And they also serve 'classic drunk food,' although we did not partake. We also had no desire to stay for more than 1 drink. I recall that we also had a bottle of wine in the room, which we must have purchased at the hotel shop.

Across the wide street (on the side of the hotel on the way to Lisa's) there appeared to be a handful of eating places - you might check on the map for what, and their hours. Having eaten at Byron's once, I would likely not return, even if it was still in business.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, you bought it in SEA. Read your trip report :D

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder. I didn't want to scramble my fragile little mind on a Saturday morning. :eek: