Nicole Kidman Raised Ire of the Flight Attendants Union

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MX, Apr 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants strongly admonished the actress for taking a role in the Etihad's commercial.
    read details here

And this is the offending ad:

2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nicole Kidman would surely do an ad for the Union if they paid her as much as Etihad did :cool: but doubt Etihad would give this lady any money to be in their ads, she can be in AA ads maybe?

what exactly does all this have to do with the rights of women? :eek:

Counsellor and daninstl like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI I reported @jonspencer post due to the disparaging personal comments on the Union lead. I feel its inappropriate per the terms of our community and we should maintain a civil discussion without such activity.
    https://milepoint.com/forums/help/terms
    Improper Conduct: Disparaging, harassing or unhelpful content may be removed from the site at the Administrator's’ discretion, and patterns of such behavior can result in suspension or expulsion of the member’s account.

mattsteg, YULtide, jonspencer and 3 others like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have posted in blog posts and the like its rather odd the flight attendants speak out about third parties like Nicole Kidman but don't do the same about top three airlines partnering with Etihad... Same as Delta's complaints then today Delta announces more partnerships with airlines form the region...

MX likes this.
  5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the reasons the US airlines don't even come close to the in-flight service provided by their overseas competitors is the Union rules. Senior flight attendants who are coasting to retirement opt for the long haul flights where they just go through the motions. Nicole or no Nicole, the competition wins hands down on their service. The protests by the US unions are just a diversionary tactic.

flyforawg, daninstl, MX and 1 other person like this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    last I heard there is still "free speech" in the USA :eek:

complete nonsense they attack some movie star over doing their job

flyforawg, daninstl, MX and 1 other person like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nicole Kidman is Australian so what a USA union is doing is blaming a foreign actress for contributing to women's rights in another foreign country. Would they have the same problem if it was for Qantas? They also point out the whole UN thing and how great that is when the UN discriminates as well.

The question I would have for the FA union is: Are you part of the problem or the solution?

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. This rather bizarre attack is a distraction from the Union's real problem -- being uncompetitive.

9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1! Much ado about nothing! An American FA union complaining about an Aussie doing a commercial for Etihad? Where's the beef? :D

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    ???
    I don't see anyone claiming anyone involved is committing a crime by expressing their political opinion publicly.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak for jonspencer, but often this phrase is used to imply that the statement which it is said about has no justification, or perhaps no relevance to the matter being discussed.

daninstl and MX like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have received both excellent and poor service from young and old flight attendants.

As someone who is aging, too, I appreciate US and European labor laws that disallow age discrimination.

13. @iolaire No one should have to say why or justify the reason for blocking or reporting someone . I am all for free speech but sometimes garbage needs to be deleted. I did not read it so can someone send it to me.

iolaire likes this.
  14. I am a detective trying to find clues for what is the problem with this ad. The fact I cannot find any is a mystery

daninstl likes this.
  15. Lets all complain to the Four Seasons for this http://www.fourseasons.com/riyadh/photo_and_video/?c=t&_s_icmp=mmenu

daninstl likes this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

MX likes this.