Nicest Marriott hotel in Phuket (Koh Lak) or Ko Samui

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jpripcord, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    So as part of my trip to SE Asia over Christmas time, I want to spend 4 or 5 days on a beach in Thailand. I did a quick awards search and it looks like pretty much all of the Marriott properties are available for rewards stays during my trip.

My question to you is, if you could pick 5 nights in any Marriott hotel in either Phuket, Koh Lak, or Ko Samui, what would you choose (and why).

2. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be watching this thread intently as we are headed to Phuket in November for our honeymoon!

uggboy likes this.
  3. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard in other threads that the JW Marriott in Phuket is regarded as Marriott's nicest property in the world (not including ritz), but curious to find out what other milepoint heads think.

uggboy likes this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak to the other Marriott properties in the Phuket area but stayed at the JW Marriott Phuket last Xmas and it was a great resort. The only downside was that there were a ton of families there. Not sure if it's just the hotel profile or the Xmas timing but it wasn't the couples only resort that we thought it would be.

There are some great resort features like yoga classes, bike rentals, beginner's Thai language class and more. The gym was pretty nice and the Southernmost pool is great to lounge at. It's also located near a small shopping center with a few food options as well as a convenience store in case the resort restaurants are beyond your budget. The design of the resort is great and is a comfortable place to just chill out. The service was terrific and I can't think of even one par experience let alone a sub par one.

This resort is a large reason why my gf wants to go back to Phuket vs the rest of Thailand where we spent 2 weeks (including 3 nights at Le Meridian Chiang Rai). I would agree and if I had the chance to go back to Thailand in the future, I'd pick Phuket, spend all my time in the area and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the JW... especially if you're a Marriott Plat and get free breakfast.

jpripcord and uggboy like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    JW Marriott Khao Lak
    [​IMG]
    JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
    [​IMG]
    Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

But the weather would be best (less chance of rain) at the Andaman Sea islands and, thus, Phuket and Khao Lak would be the better choice.

uggboy and gba like this.
  6. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now we are booked for 7 nights at the JW Khao Lak and 3 nights at the Rennaisance Phuket.

Kalboz your pictures are stunning and getting us pretty excited for the trip.

2MM_Guy and Kalboz like this.
  7. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beyond the pictures, how would you compare the three properties?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear. We booked 5 free nights there in December. Really looking forward to the experience. If there are any tip/tricks/must do's please let us know.

And we are plat, and have heard the breakfast is spectacular

Kalboz likes this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't have a lot of time to really enjoy all of Phuket but I'd avoid Phuket town... there's not a whole lot to see or do there from what I experienced. One thing I am definitely going to do the next time I go is a boat tour to Phang Nga Bay which I missed out on.

Another item that may be of interest is the Marriott timeshare presentation. They are pretty low pressure on the sales and if you say you really aren't interested after what you see, they are not going to hassle you or waste even more of your time. It's very convenient since the sales center is on site and the property is right around the corner. If they are still having the offers, you can get a nice little benefit for about 60-90 minutes of your time. I did it since I like hearing about real estate and enjoyed a very nice couples massage for my time.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Plat here, looking at Phuket stay later this year. I know the CYs are gone, but I have a choice that includes the Beach Club. Anyone with experience at the Phuket Beach Club, or words on Beach Clubs in general?

Kalboz likes this.