Nice reciprocal treatment with United

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, May 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travelled EWR to MCO last night. When I checked in I asked to switch from a window to an aisle seat. At first they said 'no problem because I was SA gold. Then when they checked that it was with AC and not United, I was told it would cost $33.​

Really...next time it will be Jet Blue on that route!

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's ACCESS?

canucklehead likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada?

Were you asking for an Economy Plus seat? E- seats don't cost extra, *G or not.

And since you mention reciprocity, what seat selecton brnefits does AC offer for *G members of partner airlines?

4. They don't even save any seats for their top tier members. I often book flights with only middle seats available and I'm SE and a 2MM member. I do almost always,99% successful, get an upgrade however

canucklehead likes this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a * Gold and looking to move from E to E+? If so, perhaps they were trying to upsell your seat (they don't offer them for free to anyone but their own elite members - Gold levels at time of booking, silver at checkin). If they were charging you for the same part of the economy cabin (E window to E aisle or E+ window to E+ aisle), they should not have charged you.

My thoughts too! I was wondering if it was AA's PriorityAACCESS which would get you bupkiss on UA.

I usually get to book into Premium seats at time of booking, with the exception of Exit rows.

And never a middle seat (which is not hard since they are often CRJ and ERJs)! :D

6. Try getting that premium seat on flights between YYZ and YEG/YYC or YMM within a week of travel. The commuters working in YMM are always booked well ahead of time and grab the premium seats as most of them are either E75 or SE's. they fly direct or via YYC/YEG as many of them have caught on to additional miles and segements.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think OP meant ALTITUDE not ACCESS. And as noted, UA charges for E+ seating and only its own elites get it as a comp benefit. It's not reciprocal. No other STAR carrier has this type of seating (though many now have Premium Economy, not the same hard product though) so it's not a STARGold benefit. As for what AC calls Premium Seating, that's a laugh, just regular seats in the front of the economy cabin and the ones most likely to be in-filled on fuller flights.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do know that JetBlue charges for their extra legroom seats, too, right? Even their elites only get a few freebies annually for those.

canucklehead likes this.
  9. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Woops...auto correct on my Playbook replaced 'AC' with 'ACCESS'!

Now corrected on OP.

All I asked was to move from a window to an aisle. They said it was no problem until they realized my SA gold status is with AC not UA. Then it became a $33 upgrade.

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only legitimate reason I could see for this would be if the only aisle seats left were in E+. FWIW, some AC fliers have noted that they were able to get E+ seating for gratis. Sorry this was not in your favour.

YULtide likes this.
  11. I have received free E+ seating on UA at the gate by asking if there were any seats available.

mtlfire likes this.
  12. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I checked with them (in the Red Carpet Lounge) I told them I was SA Gold. They said "no problem"....then they asked which airline my gold status was with. When I said Air Canada, they told be it would be $33.

Just seemed really petty to me....I flew over 30 flights on United last year because they are SA. I may use my domestic U.S. travel to build up some status on American/US Air since United doesn't seem to appreciate the business.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The odds are better at the gate than in the RCC. Although this is not an official benefit so really you are at the mercy of the the agent, be nice and you may end up with an E+ seat.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You apparently didn't build up any status on UA. Otherwise E+ would have been free of charge. It is, of course, reasonable to credit all your *A flights to your home program. I do the same; my AC flights are credited to UA to help me maintain status. What benefit do you think does my UA *A gold status get me when flying AC?

So if you now switch your US flying to AA, is that really in your best interest? You won't be able to use the flights to maintain *A status, and you won't be able to use our *A status to get lounge access.

avflyer likes this.
  15. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would hope Air Canada would move you to an available aisle seat for free if you asked.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As has been pointed out E- seats, whether aisle or window, don't cost extra. So assume there was some sort of misunderstanding and you were offered an E+ seat. Why did you even mention to them that you are *G when requesting the seat switch? Was the seat you wanted to trade out off in E+ or E-?

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get anything you want so what's new about that? Everyone breaks the rules for you if we believe everything you post.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would they know you flew with UA? If you fly so much with UA, join MP, become an elite and get E+ as well as into the queue for a UDU F upgrade. Anyone who flies in the US that much, or flies a US airline, should have their account in that airline's program and thus be entitled to benefits accorded their elites. Anyone who flies a lot of transborder flights should have a MP or AA account and forget AE.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have also received E+ seat assignments on UA. Depends on the agent, really, as it's not an official *G benefit. It pays to ask nicely ...

As long as you only fly to AA or UA hubs, or don't mind doing connections, sure.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I have also been told there would be a charge. Of course I preferred the free version better, but I didn't get pissed when I didn't get it and huff off, threatening to take my business to anther company with an identical policy to the one I dislike.

tomh009 likes this.
  21. I wasn't travelling alone, and the other guy is a long time SE also, so do you want an affadavit confirming that? :rolleyes:
    There are lots of question marks about anything anyone posts on FT or who has found reason to depart from being an AC SE or who don't even fly anymore.
    Not all of us are as tempermental about our loyalties and steady as she goes does pay off. I haven't missed one UG so far this year and am already at 90K Q miles. I have also been given every flight I requested from AE in the calss I asked for and at normal miles.

22. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given your track record on 'facts', it's not unreasonable for many to question statements you make.

YULtide likes this.
  23. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew UA via MCO-IAD-YUL over the weekend. Didn't get E+ on any of the legs (but didn't ask either), however did get premier access which got me into the priority security line and past all the kids at MCO as well as boarding in group 2. All that for everyone on the booking although everyone else was *S with AP. So two thumbs up for that. I kinda thought E+ opened up at checkin like priority seating on AC, on one flight there was only E+ available so I didn't select seats (as even though thats all there was, they still wanted 30$). Still ended up in regular economy at the airport.

Flew down YUL-YTZ-MCO on AC and security won't let anyone into the priority lines that isn't *G even if traveling together. So in that sense, better treatment as Altitude 50k (more specifically the 25k) via UA than AP.

I'm still working on guiness to share his eupgrades as I'm not running 99% upgrades yet and only flew UA as it was 50% less than AC :D

24. Given the records of two non AC fliers here I would suggest my experiences are much more relevant and forthcoming with no BS behind the story. In other words no baggage

25. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....I relatively new here...why all the personal shots!

My only point is that in my opinion, any Star Alliance airline should accommodate any Star Alliance Gold member who requests a move from an assigned window seat to and available aisle seat at no charge.

Is that unreasonable?

YULtide likes this.