Nice little 5-card App-o-Rama

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by servo, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished my 2nd formal AoR for the following:

Chase Ink Bold - 50k points after $5k spending in 3 mos - was pending (expected) - called recon line to confirm business - APPROVED (no worries about the spend despite the lack of Vanillas at OD)

Chase United Explorer- 50k miles after $1k spending in 3 mos, 5k miles for 1st purchase of authorized user - was pending (unexpected) - called recon line - APPROVED

AmEx Hilton HHonors NAF- 65k points (40k after $750 spend in 3 mos, add'l 25k points after $3k spend in same 3 mos) - INSTANT APPROVAL

Bank of America/Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines - 35k x 2 miles after $1k spend in 3 mos (convert to 140k Hilton points) - was pending (expected b/c of 2 apps at the same time) - called recon line to confirm both apps - APPROVED for both

So 50k UR points, 55k United miles, and 205k Hilton points from one AoR. I can dig it.

2. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh man... get's me ready for my next App O Rama in December! I can't wait! It's the little things that excite us lol

merice107 likes this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was going to wait until Black Friday, but with some of the office supply store deals out there before the holiday, and the fact that I wanted the United card before the 55k mile deal went away, I pulled the trigger early, but still after my 90 day mark of the last one - and none of the lenders in this round were in the prior round.

merice107 likes this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    which link did you use for the 55K card? The old trick doesn't seem to work anymore. I am trying to get it for my folks.

Thanks!

merice107 likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.unitedexplorercard.com/premier

I only had the 2,000 miles from MP Premium membership in there, and that qualified me using this link, after signing in - confirmed with recon line rep.

merice107 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly what I was looking at doing! I was worried about the two chase application though at the same time. No issues for you?

Why did the Bank of American and Bank of Hawaii apps have issues with two apps at the same time? Aren't they separate institutions?

When is it looking at being gone?

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look at the application page it says.
    FIA is a division of BofA

servo46250 likes this.
  8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You never know. That bonus is not publicly promoted at all anymore, so your guess is as good as mine.

edekba likes this.
  9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other than being surprised by the fact that the United Explorer app wasn't instant approval, no issues - It might have been due to the Bold app at the same time though, but I'm just speculating. I called 2 different recon lines, since one is personal and the other is business. I requested a $5000 line on each (they ask you how much you want).

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weird I've never been asked how much I want ... but FYI the min for a Visa Sig is 5k

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right. I found it strange too. I didn't want to press my luck and ask for an amount that might have caused a denial, so I stuck with the minimum needed for the Visa Signature, because I don't plan on charging that much in a month anyhow.

12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done 1 Chase Personal + 1 Chase Business at the same time. Personal first since pretty much everyone has to call in for the Business card.

I'm also gearing up for a churn within the next few days. Looking at:

AMEX -- just downgraded to Blue Cash to keep card
    Either 65K Hilton NAF ($3000 spend) or 25K SPG ($5000) ... will probably do first one since it's a better deal than normal, I'll get SPG later.

Citi -- just cancelled previous AAdvantage cards, have Forward
    2x HHonors 50K (not interested in Reserve and still need to wait 2-3 months for AA cards). If I skip any, it'll be this. Save Citi/Barclays for the next app cycle.

Chase -- have BA card 4/2011, CSP 6/2011, UA 3/2012
    PC 80K Personal on first spend
    and
    Chase Ink Bold/Plus 50K (I have a Bold on another business with another primary cardholder, don't actually have one for myself)

BOA/BOH -- have no cards, only banking with BOA
    2x 35K HA

13. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could I split those two cards up between to different apps to not have to deal with calling in and risking not getting approved? I just started doing this and have never had to call in before (I know my day will come eventually). Or if I get one, then I am not going to get the other one 90 days later? Does this have to be down in a pseudo 2 browser trick in order to get both cards?

14. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I applied for both at the same time, I was approved for both without having to call in. My guess is you won't have a problem.

merice107 likes this.
  15. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    'specially if you wanna big hole to bury your past

Nice haul, servo46250!

servo46250 likes this.
  16. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The mention about none of the current lenders not being in your previous round 90 days prior caught my attention.....

I just wrapped an AOR with 4 cards (chase, BOA, citi, barclay's).... should i anticipate problems in 91 days going back to chase, citi, and BOA?

Sorry if this pulls the thread off course, feel free to pm!

Thanks,

MO

17. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think after my next churn I'm going to have to think about getting into the AMEX Membership Rewards game... I have never applied for either the gold or platinum... just putting most of my spend on UR earning cards. Probably time to start diversifying my points.

mo26 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  18. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is just like a retirement fund. :)

mo26 likes this.
  19. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problems? YMMV. My reason for mentioning was that from a timing perspective, it didn't really matter that I was 90-ish days out from my last AoR, because none of my apps in this round were from lenders in my prior round. I could have done it at 60 days and been just as successful. My 1st Round was the 2 Citi AA Personal Cards and Barclays US. I had done a Chase one 2 months prior to that individually, and 1 Amex a month before then. I will likely revisit the 2 Citi Cards but this time for Hilton, and maybe even go after another US Barclay card, since it seems that can be churnable despite having another active card of the same type. However, I'd also like the SPG Amex at some point.

I have no basis for this assumption, but my own prevailing logic would tell me that there's a greater risk of pending applications when you do back-to-back rounds with the same lenders. However, I only had 1 out of 5 apps auto approved this round, so that logic might be a bunch of bunk.

Mikus33 and mo26 like this.
  20. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    YMMV is the name of this whole "game" i think :)

-MO

servo46250 and edekba like this.
  21. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to apply for an Amex Biz and Amex Personal card on the same day? Like you can with Chase? I'm making some final adjustments to my apps for later today .. thinking of adding the 50K Gold Biz to my 65K Hilton card. If it shows up as one credit pull, I might as well since I can meet the extra $5K spend.

miles and smiles likes this.
  22. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Business and personal card applications almost *never* show up as 1 inquiry since they are assessed by different groups within the banks.

But of course you can apply for 1 business and 1 personal card at the same time from AMEX.

23. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you separate those? For instance, could you apply for the SPG Amex Personal and then 6 months later apply for the SPG Amex Business?

24. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, those are different products.

miles and smiles and merice107 like this.