Nice Little 3 Card AOR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was really my first AOR as the previous cards I have applied for in the past were all individually done. I wanted to slowly ease into this hobby. I applied for all of these on Friday 11/23/12:

Chase Ink Bold 50,000 with $5,000 min. spend (3 months): Status Pending. Called in today (11/26/12) and was approved.
    Amex Hilton HHonors 65,000 with $3,000 min. spend (6 months): Instantly approved.
    Chase United Mileage Plus 35,000 with $1,000 min. spend (3 months): Status Pending. I immediately called the reconsideration line. They said I was initially declined because of my recent approval of the Chase British Airways Visa (I got that on June 7th). I explained that I was looking to use United to fly from Chicago directly to Hawaii this summer and British Airways would obviously not help me with that. He offered to move some of my credit from the BA Visa over to the United card. Approved.

*Side note: I was planning on using the link for the 55,000 United offer that worked for me on 11/19 but by 11/23 it would not work. Luckily I have a screen shot that I will send in a secure message to Chase once I get the card and activate it. Could I just ask them to match the offer when I call in to activate the card?

I thought it was interesting that that the BA Visa back in June initially caused me to be declined. I guess that 6 months back from 11/23 would be 5/23. So I guess it was still in the 6 months mark that I have seen people say you need to wait before applying for a new chase card. Either way, my first AOR and my first time calling in to the reconsideration line. I'm glad it all worked out.

2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, good job. If you don't already have it you might consider a Chase Sapphire as a long term play to allow you to keep your UR points as you potentially cycle other Chase UR cards like the Bold, say replacing the Bold with an Ink or whatever.

You could also of course go for the Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines and/or Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines pair for 35K miles each that can be converted to Hilton 1:2, meaning 70K HH points for each, for only $1K spend in four months. Nice since these are from other card issuers you don't normally hit. Might be too late of course since presumably the credit pulls have already hit your account. Queue them up for next time maybe.

merice107 likes this.
  3. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume when you say replacing the Bold with the Ink... you mean the Ink Plus? He already applied for the Ink Bold. Also... you should weigh the pros and cons to which UR earning card is the best for you. I personally prefer the Bold since I can utilize the 5x on telecommunications and at Office Supply stores, 2x on gas, etc... That is much more beneficial to me then the 7% dividend, 2x on dining, etc. that the Sapphire offers.

OP... Chase is very good about honoring previous offers within the last 60 days. I think you should be in good shape, especially since you have a screen shot.

Good Luck!

merice107 likes this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the standard sequence seems to be to apply for the Bold, then the Ink Plus using the justification that you want the ability to pay over time, potentially closing the Bold in the process. I assume you want to wait 6 mos between these.

merice107 likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the methodology I was hoping for.

merice107 likes this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking too! Probably not until next fall as the annual fee comes close. This is a long ways away but you apply for the Ink Plus, then on the reconsideration line call you explain that you want to ability to pay over time, and then they will close the Bold for you to open the Ink Plus? (Theoretically)

That is what is up for the next churn. I don't quite feel comfortable doing 5 cards yet. That will give me enough Hilton points for our Maldives trip in the works. And then in June I am going to do the Hyatt cards to top off the Maldives trip (along with a Marriott card).

I just need to figure out what to go for with the Hawaiian Airlines cards duo in March-ish. I was thinking maybe the Citi Hilton 2 browser trick??

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well there are a lot of ways to get Hilton points. Virgin Atlantic converts 1:2 for example and is available thru BofA so that's an easy option since most cards are thru Chase, Citi or Amex. Yes the Citi Hilton is attractive as well, though not sure what the bonus is right now. I have no personal experience with the 2/3-browser trick. Makes me a little nervous.

Only experience is by mistake. I thought I was applying for the BofA and BofH Hawaiian Airlines cards but actually applied for the BofA twice somehow. Must have clicked on the wrong link. Anyway, first got a note in the mail about this not being a good idea can affect your credit rating etc but then a follow on note maybe a couple of weeks later saying they'd automatically (without prompting from me) approved me for the 2nd identical card by moving some credit over. Fine with me...

merice107 likes this.
  8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: I just received confirmation for both my United card from my 11/23 app and my wife's United card from her 11/30 app that we will receive the additional 20,000 miles once we complete our minimum spend. Success!

Mikus33 likes this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great news! I kinda wish I would have gone that way, but I won't complain about the Airtran card, especially with it dropping back down to 16 credits from 32 (1 rt instead of 2). Let's just hope I can find availability to somewhere in the Caribbean when it's convenient.

merice107 likes this.