nice AA miles offer

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by olmangsr, Nov 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA just came out with their holiday buyAAmiles offer.
    The max you can buy is 60k with a 30k bonus for $1650.2cpm,nice... Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 9.53.24 AM.png

perryplatypus and Flying Bat like this.
  2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    They had to compensate the value of the lost MIllion Miler factor, so that the miles for purchase has an attractive appeal! I used to buy every year the max cap of miles, but not even with this great bonus i will buy for this year due to lost value of million miler program!

3. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still not a bad deal for some. For instance, 90,000 miles translates into a saver award in F with plenty left over and if you need miles for something else 1.83 CPM is pretty good.

I doubt this has anything to do with the MM program changes but who can say?

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think we can say it is NOT related, and here is why: (1) yes, this year's offer is sweeter than last year's, but (2) unlike Nov. 16 this year, last year's offer wasn't made until December, after the MM changes had taken effect. So neither last year's nor this year's miles purchased qualify(-ed) for MM status, thus the MM changes wouldn't be related to the sweetening for 2012.

anabolism likes this.
  6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I have seen worse offers.
    I wonder, if I wanted to move up an account from 50k to a sweet spot, what might people suggest?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We live in such a bubble some times when it comes to these program issues that we forget that we are a very small segment of what is already a small segment of AA's customer base. AA's mileage sales are related to getting an influx of cash into the system. They're not designed to compensate for a million miler program that the vast majority of its customers didn't know about until the changes were made, and the small number who did know about the program prior the change were not purchasing vast quantities of AA miles solely to help with MM status. That's just common sense.

Yes, the program changes worked against many who were working toward that goal, but that's just a handful of people compared to the vast majority of AA's customer who use the BuyAAMiles program to top up their accounts for awards, etc. The idea that AA has to "sweeten the pot" on BuyAAMiles because of MM changes? I don't think so.

And if we get into a tangent about how the MMer changes are related to the Chp 11 isssue I'm just going to throw my hands in the air and set my laptop on fire. :D

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What do you use your miles for? Or do you have an ideal award redemption in mind?

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly. I've contemplated making this purchase (twice for my wifes account and my own), but then I thought to myself, why? After taxes and fees, the total comes to $1,808 for 90K miles whichs comes out to about 2 cents per mile. What are some good reasons why I or anyone else should make this purchase? Could it be worth it maybe for some International award travel?

10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it just depends on your particular set of circumstances.

11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I can see so far is that you can fly J from DFW to LHR with 100K miles which the equivalent cash rate would be nearly $5K so I can see how buying these points could turn out to be very good! :D

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I got around to buying with this offer this morning. When I did, I noticed a change in the T&C that may seem negligible but actually I was happy to see. Almost looks like someone has been listening to their customers, because I have griped about this in the past, and maybe I wasn't the only one! Specifically, they still give you the miles you buy in two lumps -- the miles and then the bonus miles in the offer -- but they say they are giving you the bonus miles now within five days. It used to be "six to eight weeks after the end of the promotion," which if one executed early in the promotion allowed them three months to give you the bonus. And one time in my case they even exceeded that oversized window and I had to call them repeatedly. Five days to get my 10,000 bonus (I bought 20,000 this morning), if they come through on that, is a whole lot better than three months. ThAAnks, guys!

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be better off buying US miles at a 100% bonus if they're going to become AA miles anytime in the next year... :)

In all seriousness, I just bought 100K + 100K of US miles, but for a trip I'll be booking in January. While I'd love to have the AA miles, I can't say I *need* them for anything, so I can't pull the trigger on this round.

anabolism likes this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I purchased miles under the 30% offer last month, and then again for this offer. We use miles for international first awards so we figure under 2.5 cents is a good value.

15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Purchased 20,000 + 10,000 Bonus on Sunday morning and ALL of it was in my account when I got up Monday. Compared to the old way of processing purchases, they went from an MD-80 to a 77W with this improvement. Even though they don't have a 77W yet, I know :(

anabolism likes this.