NEXUS/Global Entry Discussion Thread for AC Flyers

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the popularity of Nexus for coming and going between Canada and the USA, and now the additional benefit of Global Entry for NEXUS members, I thought a thread here may be of use for the AC flyers here to continue to discuss these programs.

secretsea18 likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had my first Secondary coming home from Hong Kong, into Toronto last week using Nexus.
    A quick search through my bags, and the Canadian Customs officer said welcome home. So far loving the Nexus!

secretsea18 likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree - coming back into Canada before NEXUS it seems I would always get in the longest queue ... now it is quick and painless. Especially when a number on international flights arrive and I get to bypass the "unwashed masses" ;) and go quickly to the NEXUS kiosk! [​IMG]

secretsea18 likes this.
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bypassing the queues is a great practical value, and especially so in the mornings when the US preclearance hall fills up with the US immigration queue. But I love the fact that I don't need to talk to immigration people of either US or Canadian varieties! :)

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In YVR, we can insert our Canadian passport and customs declaration into a reader and then just make our way to the exit after collecting luggage or just exit with carry on luggage.
    Anyone know if this is planned to be expanded to other Canadian entry airports?

secretsea18 likes this.
  7. todd-r
    Original Member

todd-r Active Member

Status Points:
    Is this in lieu of a retina scan at the Nexus kiosk?

secretsea18 likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just arrived internationally in YVR a week ago and did not notice anything but the retina scanners so am curious also about these and where they were located in the customs hall?

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    No it is not.

10. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been pondering both Nexus and GOES being a dual citizen but am still paranoid about giving the government my biometric data. Too many conspiracy movies I guess. For the personal traveller (not much business travel), is there really an added benefit?

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on how much time you spend standing in lines at immigration. Add that up and you can then decide whether it makes sense for you.

12. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    Overall, if you are a fly occasionally and always with checked luggage you won't be out of the airport any faster. I think in the vast majority of cases the wait for bags is longer then the wait for CBSA.

resipsa99 likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked baggage? What's thats ;)

tomh009 likes this.
  14. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    A better question would be what's "fly occasionally"

15. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    just to clarify, the new global entry benefit works for entering the US from a third country as well?

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it does.

17. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, this is awesome, no more long lines at customs!

18. Remember, biometrics are actually public data. If I give you a glass at a restaurant I have your finger prints. Retina scan might be a bit more difficult, but likely you could get it from someone without their knowledge. I would say its pretty low risk giving fingerprints and an iris scan. If you ever have any level of security clearance you have to give fingerprints anyways.

resipsa99 likes this.
  19. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I right in assuming that everyone else here is getting postcards about joining the other Trusted Traveler programs? I've been notified of preapproval for Global Entry and SENTRI but as a Canadian non-business traveller, I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where I'd need to enter the US from a country other than Canada.

Any thoughts?

20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have received two cards. As for your second questions I likely would not need to do it, but having GE is a nice thing to have in the back pocket.

canucklehead likes this.
  21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe some day you will use the copious AP miles you are earning to do a mini-RTW in F, with connections through the US to get onto specific airlines with desirable F seats. At that point you'll be really happy about the Global Entry approval! :)

22. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    I received the same and am interested for the odd times that I do land in the US, but the instructions are unclear. It says to go to GOES for more information and all I can see there is that you need to sign up for an appointment to capture biometrics. However, I cannot find any way to sign up for an appointment.

I stopped by the Nexus office in Toronto and they were very clear that they will not do anything there. I've also called a few of the GOES registration centers and have yet to get someone to answer the phone.

Has anyone been successful in scheduling a biometric appointment?

23. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    True about the fingerprints. It's the retina scan I dislike the most. I highly mistrust IT security mostly because I work in IT security.

Exit Row likes this.
  24. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't yet applied for GE. Will soon! Can't beat the price.
    Had our second secondary a week ago at YYC. This was the first one that was accidental. Other one was when we declared some food... :(

25. i dropped in to Nexus office on Weds to update for Global status... I got my Nexus so long ago they didnt take the correct fingerprint information. So Global told me to drop in any office no appointment needed. Well appointments are needed and they are for 3 months from now. Oh i have mine for next week :)