NEXUS Card Experiences

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by FriendlySkies, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel free to post any experiences you have with your NEXUS card. If you have a clerk that refuses to accept the card, please file a complaint!

To start off...

This morning at MCO, I handed over my NEXUS card & my BP. The clerk flipped it over a few times, and then asked how old I was. I asked her why she wanted to know, and got a non-response. When she asked if I had any other form of ID, I told her that "NEXUS is acceptable according to your SOP" pulled out the form from the TSA website and then said "I'll stand aside until you get a supervisor over here".. Luckily a three-striper was nearby, and said "NEXUS? Yup, that's acceptable!"..

I glared at the clerk who was TDC, and then said thank you to the three-striper (something I never do with TSA clerks). After clearing the WTMD/X-Ray, I walked over the the "Command Post" to talk to a supervisor. A clerk approached me and I told her that I wanted to file a complaint. She told me to follow her, and she pointed out the location of the comment cards. She then said "If you really, really, really want a response, come with me!" The way she said this was pretty strange, but I followed her back to the "Command Post".. The TSM came down and I showed him the NEXUS card, and said how Pissy mentioned that he would make sure clerks would know what a NEXUS card is.. He said that he would make sure they knew, but, you know :rolleyes:

I'll be filing a complaint with the TSA Contact Center on Monday, as well as call the MCO TSA office.. What idiots :td:

2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I get another Canadian client I might finally break down and apply for one, then I'll have some stories to post. Since my travel to Canada is feast or famine and I just finished the feast.

I've had fairly good luck with a passport card though.

3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am happy to report that I've never been given an issue using my NEXUS card as ID at ALB (Albany, NY). My guess is that they see a few given our proximity to the boarder. TSA's ability to handle the mobile boarding passes at ALB is not quite as reliable.

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experiences with my NEXUS card have had a couple of bumps here and there, but I have found being less confrontational and abrasive when there is a problem usually smooths things out in the long run.

I think some people look to pick a fight with the TSA, but that's just my opinion.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And some people approach the checkpoint totally fine, until they run into a clerk that is not well-trained, to recognize a card issued partly by DHS..

6. I'm not sure you accomplished anything other then wasting your time and getting a few eye rolls behind your back.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  7. RonF
    Original Member

RonF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you walked in looking for a fight. I'm guessing she asked for your date of birth to make sure the information you provided was correct. If you lie about your date of birth you may give the wrong age when questioned. I'd like for you to reconsider your "filing a complaint" as it just waste our tax dollars to investigate and to respond to your complaint. TSA employees are made up of humans with emotions. I'm guessing they don't like their job cause I sure wouldn't want to deal with angry travelers everyday.

8. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it means they get told to accept NEXUS cards, then I did not waste my time. :rolleyes:

canucklehead likes this.
  9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any complaint I file will be for her not knowing what a NEXUS card is, despite me handing over information from TSA that has NEXUS listed at the top. As far as being a clerk with emotions, if you don't like the job, then either try and be nice to the people who pay you, or quit.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you're getting the underlying premise of what people are saying. While I don't speak directly for them, I will say my two cents.

Frankly, being bombastic about it, in this forum, in FT, or at the actual airport doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Milepoint and FT are sites where we try to either get the inside scoop on something, or make travel easy for our flying brethren. Your reaction accomplished neither. The way you handled things in Orlando was just to try and one-up any TSAer you saw, again coming over completely as if you were either looking to pick a fight and/or seeking some legitimacy in your mind for another round of calling TSAers "clerks" and again calling their actions "disgusting." You may say differently, but your description of the events come over in that fashion.

Further, there is NOTHING in your post that comes from the angle of ensuring that NEXUS cards would be accepted from you or any of your fellow travelers. As a NEXUS card holder, I completely share your frustration as I have experienced the same thing.

But also as a NEXUS member, I am patently offended that you give us members in this trusted traveler program a bad name. If I was one of the TSA people you spoke to, and you spoke to me in even half the tone you describe in your post, I too would dismiss you as a some sort of of whack-job, and not follow-up on the wrong by the BP/ID checker.

And in the long run, EVERYONE loses; all because of an inability to keep emotions in check.

I would suggest re-thinking your attitude when it comes to these types of situations.

Geo and RonF like this.
  11. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going through DFW, I was told that the people that issued the NEXUS card went out of business. When I spoke to a supervisor he confirmed that NEXUS was bankrupt and that they no longer accepted the card as valid ID. Furthermore they stated emphatically that it was not government ID. I complained to the station head via email and he responded. He said to call him personally if I ever encountered that problem again. A week later... same checkpoint, same people... same problem.

Now, that being said, they can *always* ask for another form of ID. I just avoid the problems now by showing passport or DL. It is easier on me. Why pick a problem when it isn't necessary? Airports that don't have many direct flights to Canada simply are not used to seeing NEXUS cards.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There IS something to be said for getting them to following their own rules, but obviously you complained in a diplomatic manner (otherwise you wouldn't have gotten his phone number), which is a good thing.

Personally, I would contact that person again with the names of the people who gave you those BS lines. If word gets around in the breakroom that individuals are being "addressed" for not honoring those cards, things will change quickly.