Nexus and Global Entry Privileges

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rodeojones, Sep 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am applying for Global Entry for some upcoming European travel and while researching the product, noticed Nexus (US/Canada) comes with GE privileges. From the GE website.

Nexus is $50.00 for five years whereas GE is $100.00 for five years. Living in Seattle, I have a Nexus office in my backyard and am wondering if I am understanding the Nexus program correctly as it relates to GE. If I am, it seems to make sense to apply for Nexus vs GE.

Thanks.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my understanding as well, though I haven't applied for either. You'll have to talk to the CBSA folks and have an iris scan.

rodeojones likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mommypoints had a post on this recently that talked about this...in particular, this is a way to get GE for your kids that are under 18 for free.

rodeojones likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is GE even worth the $$$ and time? How long does it last? How many intl trip you planning

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to cross border entry, if you are not an elite member in an airline program, PreCheck is available to Trusted Traveler which includes Global Entry - definitely worth something to me!

traveltoomuch, edekba and rodeojones like this.
  6. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

Global Entry (and Nexus for that matter) is good for five years. I have two European trips on the book scheduled right now and in the points accumulation stage for a trip to the Holy Land in 2015.

Admittedly, I have little immigration and customs experience. It's photos like this that make me think the cost is worth it (from The Points Guy at JFK).

[​IMG]

edekba and Singapore Flyer like this.
  7. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

I will look for her post...thanks.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    If you have the Amex Plat, then it is refunded as part of the cost. But if you take 1 International trip a year (use it 5 times + Pre-check), i think it can be worth it. Obviously, it all depends on the flight arrival time and the airport. We cleared immigration at JFK in about 2 minutes while the rest of our flight didn't clear for about 45 minutes, but it was washed out a bit waiting for luggage. ;)

edekba likes this.
  9. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disappointed to find this out. Nexus card holders who intend to fly must have an iris scan done at one of their Canadian offices or their lone US office in Champlain NY.

Global entry for me.

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/nexus-iris-scan-locations

10. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    The iris scan is only required if you want to use nexus for air travel (flying into canada) if I understand correctly. You can still have nexus for car travel and GE as a by product without the iris scan.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

rodeojones likes this.
  11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. You can have a NEXUS card with GE privileges without iris scan if you pass interview at a US enrollment center, and you can do an iris scan the first time you fly in to Canada; no appointment required.

infamousdx and rodeojones like this.
  12. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure your history is squeaky clean. No arrests, denied entries or like or you'll be turned down. I did the research and because of a DUI 23 years ago don't qualify. However, I was able to obtain my US citizenship after openly disclosing my indiscretions. Go figure...

Ahhhhh, the folly of youth.....:(

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you live in Seattle, Nexus is the way to go. You can get it it at Boeing Field. GE comes with it for free. You can get the iris scan later or never, but still get GE and land crossings.

rodeojones likes this.
  14. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

If that is the case then wonderful news!

15. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

I have no plans on flying into Canada and would not be planning on getting the iris scan. I just want the GE...

16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can still get Nexus & GE for $50 with the interview at Boeing Field, even if you never go into Canada and never get the iris scan.

rodeojones likes this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup. I did pretty much exactly this, with the exception of my Nexus/GE interview was in Detroit at the bridge.

rodeojones likes this.
  18. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

Great news...thanks for the help!!

19. kofucious

kofucious Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how busy the Boeing field office gets. Just applied for nexus today and live in seattle. Got a trip 2nd week of april. Hopefully i can get interview before then

20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we were there someone came without an appointment - they can get served standby or if someone no-shows. And you can keep checking for cancellations

kofucious likes this.
  21. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying back to US into LAX, SFO and IAD, we feel that GOES has been worth the effort. In our case, UA footed the bill of US$ 100 each.

Wife still has an issue, 'cause her fingerprints are so faint, that the readers cannot scan them. She gets through the queue quickly, but still needs to talk to an agent.

Looking at the lines, I would guess that we have saved probably 1.5 hours for 2013, but that is just a very loose guess.

gregm likes this.