News, information, pictures, etc. on Hurricane Irene for NYC and area residents

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by JohnDeere19, Aug 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm putting this together as a place for information, gathering, discussion, etc. about Hurricane Irene. I'm located in zone c, but only a few blocks in one direction away is zone a, and the other is zone b so we'll see how this all plays out. I'll also try and post some pictures and videos if/when I can.

NYC.GOV: http://www.nyc.gov/html/home_alt.html

Hurricane evacuation zone finder: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nycsevereweather/weather_map.shtml

Hurricane guide: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/ready/hurricane_guide.shtml

NYC severe weather site: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nycsevereweather/weather_home.shtml

Weather.com (nyc): http://www.weather.com/weather/hurr...-irene-regional-impacts-north-east_2011-08-25

News and Announcements

Read the latest press release (at NYC.gov)

The MTA Bus and Subway system will begin an orderly system shut down at noon, Saturday, August 27. MTA urges customers to check www.mta.info frequently and to consider the impacts of this storm when making travel plans throughout the weekend. Depending on the effect of the storm, MTA service may or may not be restored in time for rush hour Monday morning. Check with your employers regarding business openings on Monday.

Amtrak service from New York City to Albany will be suspended as of 12 pm on Saturday, August 27, and Amtrak service from Washington, DC to New York City will be suspended as of 5 pm on Saturday. Amtrak expects service to resume on Monday, August 29, but this is subject to change. New Jersey Transit Rail will be suspended throughout most of the region beginning at 12 pm on Saturday. For the latest information visit: www.njtransit.com and www.amtrak.com.

Beginning at noon on Saturday, August 27, JFK, Newark, and LaGuardia Airports will close for arriving domestic and international flights. These airports will remain open for departing flights pending further updates. Please check with your carrier before departing.
    Commuter ferry services operated by the Economic Development Corporation will stop after Friday’s rush hour.

All New York City beaches are closed as of 6 PM on Friday, August 26. NYC Parks' recreation centers and outdoor swimming pools will be closed Saturday, August 27, and Sunday, August 28, and will remain closed until further notice. Marinas run by the Parks Department will be closed starting 6 PM Saturday, and all customers will be required to leave. For more information on specific events and parks, visit the Park's Department website.

All work at construction sites in New York City is suspended as of 2 PM Saturday, August 27, to 7 AM Monday, August 29.

All CUNY campuses and offices will be closed on Saturday, August 27, and Sunday August 28. For more information, please check the individual campus websites or cuny.edu.

City permits are being revoked for street fairs, block parties, and similar events on Sunday, and in Zone A – low-lying areas – on Saturday as well. Similar restrictions are being placed on outdoor TV and film permits.

Due to the weather advisories for this weekend, please call to make sure Workforce1 Career Center or NYC Business Solutions Centers are open before visiting on Monday, August 29.
    Updates on big events in and around NYC
    • The Dave Matthews concert on Governors Island that was scheduled for Friday night will go ahead, but the concert scheduled for Saturday and Sunday nights are cancelled.
    • The Mets games for Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled.
    • Fans going to the Jets-Giants game Saturday over in New Jersey should know that MTA service will likely not be available to them. If they can get back to New York City, they won’t be able to get around because the buses and subways will not be running.
    Taxis, livery cabs, and commuter vans will adopt a zone fare system Saturday morning at 9 AM. For details, read the TLC press release.

Share Information

Let New York City and fellow New Yorkers know about weather conditions and service disruptions in your neighborhood. Share map points, photos, videos, and comments about Hurricane Irene. This is an information sharing site. NYC will not take action with regards to any posts, but will use the information to inform the City's response to the hurricane. Because conditions are constantly changing during a storm, NYC will not verify the accuracy of these reports. To submit a formal service request to NYC, use 311. For emergency assistance, call 911.

Share information on NYC Severe Weather Crowdmap

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mass transit is now shut down.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The NY Mayor warned residents of the possibility that power will be turned off to areas of downtown in an effort to protect the lines from salt water.

5. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, jbcarioca, doc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just walked around Downtown Brooklyn and it's a ghost town. I would rather the city over compensate than under, but even if Irene turns out to be much ado about nothing the shutdown of mass transit will cause havoc come Monday.

uggboy, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thing they're worried about after the fact is if salt water gets into the subway systems it could erode a lot of the infrastructure down there if not properly handled.

uggboy, jbcarioca and KathInJax like this.
  8. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. I don't fault them for shutting down the transit systems just that if the storm ends up being relatively minor for the NYC Metro Area, the shutdown might cause the most issues.

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're starting to shut down some elevators downtown to ensure people don't get stuck inside them if/when they shut off the power.

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much rain have you received? I assume you've also gotten some strong winds in the city?

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't appear too crazy just yet...winds are supposedly 40 mph right now.

uggboy, jbcarioca and FriendlySkies like this.
  12. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little bit worse in NJ area....heavy rains and gusts....over 2 inches already...and rains coming down now in over an inch an hour...localized flooding already.....

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking outside there looks like a constant fall of rain and the trees are moving a bit more, but nothing crazy. Still cannot get over how quiet the city is!

News reports that the Hurricane (currently Class I still) is moving slower than predicted and the eye will not pass through LI/NYC until 9am tmrw morning (I think it was supposed to be 6 am originally).

Tornado warnings are also being reported in Ocean&Monmouth county and other parts of Jersey.

14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've got family in New Jersey. Good thing they decided to head out for the weekend. Hope your power stays on!

uggboy, jbcarioca, Kaanapali and 2 others like this.
  15. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very strong cell passing by Great Adventure in Jackson.....all sorts of warnings on TV....to hide in your flooded basements....

16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck to all caught in this storms path and let's all hope no one is hurt...power will likely be going out here in downtown NYC shortly.

uggboy, jbcarioca and canucklehead like this.
  17. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Weather Channel reporting NYC has canceled 9000 flights! :eek:

46mph winds @ JFK

uggboy, JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eye of the hurricane is just over Ocean City according to the NYT's Hurricane Irene tracker. Winds are 75mph (120km/h), or just at the low end of a Category I hurricane.

Its should be touching land in NJ (Quick, save the Jersey Shore cast!!! :p)

uggboy, JohnDeere19 and jbcarioca like this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woke up this morning to thinking this storm was a bust, at least locally. I hope everyone else here is safe and dry.

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckier to have a bust!

After countless warnings and a bust or two, plus Katrina and others, I really fear those storms. My spouse was alone on our island in the Bahamas when a Cat 5 hit. Storm surge destroyed all our plants, but also was hitting our foundation, 15 feet above sea level. We had satellite phones and our electricity (our own solar power) never went off, in fact generated electricity during the storms. I, absent working, was terrified.

Since that experience I have always hoped the warnings and precautions would end out not being needed. After all, nobody really knows what these storms will do.

I am very happy it has not been worse for all of you.

22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well they're learning from mistakes of the past. Pets were allowed in shelters in NYC this time.

Scary story.

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only those who have been around, say, Miami after major storms can really appreciate how wise a decision it was to let pets in. No matter how disagreeable they may be in shelters the alternative is awful to think about!

24. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The aftermath also offers challenges - from power outages (we were without power for 10 days after Wilma), to river flooding in non-urban areas. Good luck and continued safety to all in the affected areas.

25. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Downtown NYC appears fine from where I am. Family in CT says debris is all over the place and power is out.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.