News: American Airlines cuts flights at O'Hare

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...airlines-mary-frances-fagan-bankruptcy-filing

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. There's been a lot of "rumbling" about cuts coming to ORD -- guess those rumbles were true to some extent.

And, on a personal note (with the SJC cuts), ouch. Though over the last year or so I've been doing most of my flying from SFO, which is a shame since I live ~5 miles from SJC!

Toula and zpaul like this.
  3. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a table or list somewhere showing where they are cutting?

zpaul, MLW20 and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually use SJC whenever I head over to Silicon Valley, guess I'll have to become more familiar with SFO. :(

zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope AA doesn't start cutting flights from NYC area airports too...

zpaul and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes but think of the benefit. You can now join in hundreds of "AA hates SFO" threads.

zpaul, tom911 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really not so bad. The AAdmirals Club at T2 SFO is new and pretty great, and all the DEQM bonuses are for SFO (never SJC).

zpaul and OceanBreezes like this.
  8. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome... Not really.. Kind of sad they are cutting those city pairs i tend to fly the most.. Oh well, we could tell it was coming.. Hopefully they cut the rest of the fat from NYC, Miami, and Dallas too to even out... LGA could use some cuts... Some of the AE flights aren't that full...

SJC i have always wondered why they just didn't pick one of those airports and make a bigger focus in either SFO or SJC... Would love for AA to build upon the new terminal in SFO.. I hate going to LAX, and then taking the shuttle up the coast when i want the larger planes out west....

zpaul likes this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems tougher and tougher to get a worthwhile flight out of SJC. It's a pity as they have done all the work on the airport and it seems to be getting emptier by the day.

I don't want to fly Southwest, but it seems like the only viable option anymore for direct flights out of SJC. Other option is to go out of SFO and I don't want to do that either.

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, with them being in bankruptcy, they might. I don't like the idea of cutting NYC either, but if they're not making money, they don't have much choice. :(

zpaul and MLW20 like this.
  11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have lots of AA miles to use so I hope the flight options stay abundant! What airport do you mainly fly out of?

zpaul and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually fly out of DCA/IAD. Selfishly, the main reason I want AA to maintain a strong JFK presence is so there is more competition for DL SkyPesos (although I could make them work for me if I really had to). :D

zpaul likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not JFK, but looks like DL is ramping up and trying to muscle in on AA's NYC routes in LGA: LINK.

Delta Air Lines has called a press conference for 11:30 a.m. EST Friday to discuss big plans for its
    New York City hub. The media advisory promises that the carrier will be "announcing Delta's creation of a domestic hub at New York's LaGuardia Airport - the largest single airline expansion in New York in more than 40 years."

zpaul likes this.
  15. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a big surprise, figured some cuts to Express and feeder planes not long haul.

zpaul likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. The nerd bird was my route on AA, then AS... then it became either AUS-DFW-SJC or AUS-LAX-SJC. That's still somewhat doable, but the schedule is so much better to SFO that it makes more sense to fly to/from there now.

What sucks is the traffic difference from SFO means flying in the night before vs. the first flight into SJC, and vice-versa on leaving (there's NO late flights leaving SJC on Fridays).

zpaul likes this.
  17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw this over on Jaunted. Seems they're (DL) getting some/all of US's slots at LGA.

zpaul likes this.
  18. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

zpaul likes this.
  19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    United axed SJC ages ago leaving AA the only carrier that flies ORD-SJC. I think it's time to come to terms that there's no market for better service on this route.

zpaul likes this.
  20. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One problem with American Airlines' cornerstone strategy is that there are other airlines on some of those corners, and their stones are bigger.

This present a particular problem for American, which has made New York one of its five "cornerstone" markets. Delta is also the leading carrier in passengers carried out of New York Kennedy, ahead of JetBlue Airways and American, and is No. 2 at Newark, behind No. 1 Continental but ahead of No. 3 United, No. 4 US Airways and No. 5 American.

zpaul, LETTERBOY and Tenmoc like this.
  21. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both SEA-ORD and SEA-DFW redeyes just suddenly disappeared from schedule. This is going to affect my travel routine greatly :(

zpaul likes this.
  22. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    you could always fly united to chicago instead :p.

Though on a serious note I having a hard time figuring out American Airlines Gameplan aside from the full blown retreat it has been in. I can't believe SJU the once massive carribbean hub is gone

23. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something is probably brewing at the AA HDQ right now. As I mentioned above, I've been seeing significant reduction of flights ex-SEA. I was searching for SEA-DFW or SEA-ORD at the end of March or early April. Search yielded two SEA-DFW flights daily (6am and 11pm) and no SEA-ORD nonstop.

Could be due to flights not added to the schedule just yet, but if this was the real "capacity reduction" they have been talking about, I would be really concerned. Given recent Spring Fare Sale ad, one would think these flights were available for sale by now ...

24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    With their newly revamped partnership with AS, what are the possibilities that AA is ceding these routes to them and will add them back as codeshares?

In your search, search for all carriers, not just AA.