Newbie: What should I do???

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by rigolinr, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hiltonhonors Amex has been enticing me over the past 18 mos to move to a $75 a year card, promising 60,000 points. I have resisted as my current Amex Hilton card is no-fee. This morning I got an email upping my points to 6 for gas and food; right now I believe I get 5 pts for those items.
    If I switch to the $75 a year card, they would then be able to keep increasing the fee though, correct?
    So tempted, but I have held on this long....
    (I routinely use the pts for hotel stays each year and have loved the free rooms! Obviously, they hate me because I pay my balance each month too...)
    Thanks for advice -
    RR

Tenmoc, MSPeconomist and uggboy like this.
  2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Surpass card gives you status (I believe Diamond) after $40K in spend per year. Besides that, it has pretty much the same earning power as the regular card. Do you have any status at Hiltons? The award redemption chart is pretty heavy...

uggboy likes this.
  3. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    rigolinr, welcome to MilePoint! :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Does your current card guarantee no annual fees in the future? That would be a surprising commitment, which I presume they could evade by renaming the card, essentially discontinuing the current version and switching everyone over to the new one (not necessarily the one you've been offered, but possibly some new creation).

5. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could always signup for the Hiltom AMEX Surpass Card for one year, take your bonus points and Gold Status for the year along with the increased points for Grocery, Gas, USPS, Wireless and Cable then downgrade to the regular AMEX Hilton Card the next year.

The 60,000 points might be worth it alone in my opinion. I believe the regular Hiton Card gets 3 points for Grocery, Gas etc... where the Surpass has always gotten 6 points.

Here is a pdf of Surpass benefits--unfortunately they still have not updated to reflect Category 7 Hotels and the increased points requirments...

http://f.email.americanexpress.com/i/13/268935263/SrpssCrdBrchr.pdf

sdcarver

mrredskin likes this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may not even have to pay the full year fee.

If you leave on cycle 13 (right after the cycle closes with the fee) AXP pro-rates the refund for only 11/12ths of the fee, so presumably if you "downgrade" 6 months in they'll refund half your first year fee.

sdcarver likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are sure Hilton is your program of choice for the future, at least the next few years, then I would go for the Surpass card to earn the extra HHonors points.

I'll keep my bacic no fee Amex HHonors card as I switch hotels programs too frequently to want a $75 annual fee.

sdcarver likes this.
  8. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Double check to make sure you would actually receive all 60K points if you switch. If some of those points are comprised of an offer that you had when you got your no-fee AMEX, it's possible that they won't give you that bonus again. When I inquired about the points for upgrading, that is what they told me.

sdcarver likes this.
  9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Rigolinr, welcome to MP. May you enjoy your stay here and please post often. You will find most people here very friendly and willing to help.

As kenbo said, you may not get the full 60K sign up bonus. It all depends on when you originally signed up for your current card and what bonus you received then. That being said, we changed to the Surpass card when it first came out and have found the $75 fee well worth while. I make sure that I spend the $40K per year to get Diamond. I would never make Gold or Diamond based on stays so that is not an option.

If they increase the annual fee above what we want to pay, we will just downgrade the card or apply for a new "no fee" card. No big deal.

sdcarver likes this.