Newbie wanting to head to Bali -How?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jam77, Dec 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    With the following points accumulated, what would be a good point plan I could pursue to get to Bali, round trip in 2015? (Home airport: San Antonio/SAT)
    Any tips will be appreciated. ~

American Airlines: 16,765
    American Airlines (spouse): 50,000
    Delta: 11,309
    United Airlines: 15,000
    SW Airlines: 62,653

Amex Starwood: 35,421

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this for one person or two? Is your desire to fly in a premium cabin, or is coach fine?

(Your Southwest points are nearly useless for this, don't bother, save those for domestic flights.)

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how long are you willing to stay?

There have been some spectacular fares lately to DPS if you're willing to stay a while. That might be a smarter move than trying to redeem points.

Counsellor and eponymous_coward like this.
  4. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    This would be for a trip in August or September. I would be traveling alone and economy/coach. I would like to stay 10-12 nights

5. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you planning on using the Star Points for hotel nights or would you consider changing them to airline miles?

6. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I never planned to use my Star Points for hotel....usually stay in a smaller hotel. All my effort is directed towards getting there and back. Could open new cards too if necessary.

7. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    Transfer AMEX-Starwood points to United or American. The airline you don't trasnfer with(united or american) open a credit card and complete the minimum spend. Off the top of my head, a saver award in economy on United from SAT to SE Asia is 40k oneway. On American a oneway saver coach award from SAT to Hong Kong will run you 35k. Can't recall what saver price is for North America to SE Asia

8. pittguy81

pittguy81 Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree regarding the SW points, but they could be useful if you need to preposition for your award flight.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SPG->UA transfer is at 2 SPG to 1 UA, no? Not really a good deal, I think. Better to transfer just to AA at 1:1.

Possibly, though a likely pre-position for the OP out of SAT on AA is to DFW (DFW-HKG on AA has decent award space in Y) or to IAH on UA, and Southwest doesn't fly to DFW or IAH, but to DAL or HOU. Cross-town airport transfers on an itinerary that's going to be pushing 24 hours or more already? Ugh. Southwest's minimally useful here (maybe if you're not finding any Y to someplace like LAX or SFO).

Also, Southwest doesn't interline, so baggage needs to be rechecked (and if the flight on a separate Southwest ticket is late, you're SOL and at the other airline's mercy for rebooking)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  10. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting a bit of an education here.....sure appreciate the suggestions and the clear explanations given. Starting to feel like, hey...maybe I can do this after all. One other item...my work allows for a flexible schedule and I travel alone so can work around a few days either way if necessary.

Thanks folks!

curiousgeorge likes this.
  11. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I almost have 55,000+ points with new United credit card since last post. Had been looking at Qatar IAH<>DPS but ran into all kinds of questions and issues about availability....quite confusing. Now deciding whether to go with American or United for future card bonuses for self and spouse. Generally speaking, will I find it easier to get an economy award ticket out of Houston (or DFW) with UA or AA?

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you are going. United may be less "confusing" in that you can search for a higher percentage of options, but the better option depends on where you are going.

The best is to have multiple options, if practical.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  13. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    .................. to Bali

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can use the British Airways site and the United site to look up some answers to those questions, you know...

Ignore the number of miles BA tells you, the reason why you're using BA is that AA's partners Cathay Pacific (CX) and Malaysian (MH) aren't available for searches on AA.com. Once you find the flights, call into AA and feed the phone rep flight numbers and dates... or you should be able to book using UA miles through TG online.

There's one important partner for Bali that UA can't search for online, Singapore Air (SQ). There are ways around that, though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You had just asked generally.....................
    and in general it is useful to have options.

An economy award ticket should be relatively easy to find, although there have also been some really cheap cash fares to bali somewhat recently. Search on the united site, and get an account with british airways so you can search there also. if you find seats using ba, note the flights and dates and call american to book. Ignore all pricing on the ba site.

16. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would echo all the recommendations above, and I would emphasize United a bit more due to the somewhat generous routing rules. I found out that I could fly from US to SE Asia, via Europe and have a stopover there. With UA, you can also do an open jaw. So you could fly to DPS, maybe SAT-SFO-(ICN-DPS/TPE-DPS/NRT-SIN-DPS), but then from Bali you can take a local LCC to Lombok, or Raja Ampat, or anywhere else in Indonesia, then return to US from that city.

The Star Alliance airlines that are flying direct to DPS are Asiana, Thai and EVA. Air New Zealand does too, but that probably won't help you. Bc of that, try locating availability on the longest segment. I listed SFO, since that's probably where most of the availability would be. You can also do 2 one-way, 1 on Star Alliance airlines (use United to look), then go home on maybe CX, Malaysian and combine with American. You can use American, BA or Qantas site to find availability.

Or you can also return to US, via Europe, and have your stopover there - but that's only for United. Plus you need to be on round trip award for free stopover.

17. jam77

jam77 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the help, this newbie appreciates it~ :)

uggboy likes this.
  18. Karen_nz

Karen_nz Member

Status Points:
    Yes thanks for the advice!

uggboy likes this.