Newbie trying to get to Atlanta and I'm lost

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by OneWing, Mar 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. OneWing

OneWing New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all! I heard about this whole "using to points to travel" system and it sounds pretty good to me. I think I need a little help though. First off, I don't travel much at all, I'm not looking to get a trip to New Zealand or anything. I have a trip later this year from Denver to Atlanta and I thought maybe I could find a way to get a free ticket and save a few hundred dollars.

I started looking at cards and I'm a little stunned, everything says I need to spend thousands of dollars in the first few months to get any kind of a reward. My landlord doesn't take credit cards and all my utilities are included in rent and my other expenses wouldn't even come close, I really try to keep spending to a minimum (low income). Honestly, I can't imagine spending $3000 or even $1000 in the next 90 days, I just don't have the money. So now I'm confused. If we're spending thousands of dollars to get points to take a trip, wouldn't it be better to buy a cheap ticket? What am I missing here?

Is this a "go big or go home" thing? Is it even worth it to do this for a short domestic flight? Help!

daninstl, uggboy and satman40 like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to either make it work with your normal expenses or do what is called "manufactured spending" which mostly consists of buying gift cards which are then redeemed for cash equivalents and paying off the CC bills that way. If you're very efficient at it you can get away with 1-1.5% (some are even better) so the $3000 spend really only costs you ~$30-50. But it is not trivial and it is not without risk.

People who say otherwise are probably trying to sell you something and it is usually their link to sign up for a credit card so they get paid.

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing is free.

That said 1,000.00 a month is not hard to hit,

They would have gas for the vehicle, groceries, and many other bills that could be paid with a CC,

The main thing is getting the card, and then one could always get a friend to pay them cash for the charges,

This is about money management, without it, you will not even get the card.

Let me ask you what airline are you looking to fly to Atlanta on,

Welcome Denver lady, even though you took our broken down Colt player Peyton, he was, and still is a nice guy,

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! @OneWing :)

In all honesty, I doubt you will find "serious" help here, nothing is for "free" in the sense of being "really free". Sadly so. :(

satman40 and daninstl like this.
  5. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey @OneWing! One card you may want to look at is the US Airways MasterCard--there's a link to it from the US Airways home page. If you're approved, you only need to make one purchase and pay the annual fee ($89) in order to earn 50,000 miles. You can check the US Airways home page to see how many miles it'll take to fly from Denver to Atlanta and back on the dates you need--there should be options less than 50,000 miles.

Please keep in mind that US Airways has combined with American Airlines and the US miles will become American miles later this year. The card likely won't be available for much longer. You can do more research to see if you want to keep using the credit card after the first year or see if one of the other options you've looked at is better for you. And no, I'm not a salesperson; I'm just a happy cardholder and fellow non-frequent traveler. Hope this helps.

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with this. I'd focus on only cards that don't require high spending. There are a few cards around that don't need much to get the points. The US Air card that will die soon. Alaska Airlines through Bank of America might also be an idea so you can redeem on Delta which ATL is a huge hub for them. You can apply for the Alaska card at least 3 times to get the bonus but you will have to pay the annual fee.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta, Frontere, United, and Southwest...all non stop...

Any CC with low spend..maybe 2 and use one for the outbound, and the other for the return.

I would give my LL a debit card, or go to the grocery store and get a MO for 65 cents,

Now I know why my College Renters pay with MO.,

uggboy likes this.