Newbie trying to figure out best way to get a Southwest Companion Pass

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Mharlem, May 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mharlem

Mharlem Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeking guidance on how to best get a companion pass beginning early Jan 2016. I have a lot of questions and will try not to get to far off base. Last month I obtained a chase Sapphire card and placed $4700 on it. That along with adding my wife as a authorized user brings my point total up 52k adding in my 40k bonus. 
1. Question how do I get a southwest business card and its 50k bonus if I'm not a business owner. This card would roughly place me at 90k only needing 20k more. 
2. How do you time up getting you CP in early January so that you can take advantage for approximately two years?
    3. Currently I use two target prepaid Amex card to load 10k monthly between the two as vehicles to accrue points. At what point will chase flag my account and shut me down. This allows me to loads the prepaid with my credit card and then pay off the card from the prepaid account. I'm basically swapping balances gaining rewards points in the exchange. At what point will the credit card company shut you down. I have the ability to add a 3rd card into the mix.
    4. Does Loading at a target with a grocery store get categorized as a restaurant and give to 2:1 instead of 1:1?
    The second part of my initial plan is to continue to rapidly accrue points. Hopefully my points will offset the cost of my wife's companions tickets and place a dent into both my hotel and car cost. I'm hoping this method can help my wife and I take free quarterly weekend trips. I'm new to this concept and are in need of advice of how to best execute.

Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A business can be a sole properter, one person, so just a SS number,

Why not open a business checking account with Chase.

Tell them you rent properties, sell on EBay, anything to show income.

When you get the pass, most of us do not have time to use it.

My wife and I trade CP, every other year...or so..

Good Luck it can be done.

Mharlem and Kalboz like this.
  3. Mharlem

Mharlem Member

Status Points:
    How do I time it up to get it for two years?

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait till Jan1 to start, and go for it.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think a transfer from CSP to SW would count towards CP...

6. Mharlem

Mharlem Member

Status Points:
    I read other places that they count towards the CP. All the cards are backed by chase, I'm to call and ask that question.