Newbie trying first MR

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Miss Staunton, Apr 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to piece together a mileage run that has two connections. One in ORD with a 48 minute connection and then one in DEN that has a 31 minute connection. Do I want close connections thinking that I'll miss them and then be routed directly where I am planing to go (SJU)? This will all be done on UAL from IAD

OY-JFS and TravelBear like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially the UA policy is that you only get credit for what you actually fly if rerouted on a flight which earns credit naturally in the MileagePlus program. Based on that I'd be careful about hoping to miss connections. Many (self included) have been successful at getting credit for what was originally booked but it is not a guarantee.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think that your goal is to make your connection assuming that it is not the most direct/fastest way to your destination in an effort to fly more BIS miles. If that is the case, missing a connection is a bad thing because you could be re-routed with a shorter route and only get what you actually fly.

Not just that but if you have other commitments (work, life, etc.) there is no guarantee when you will be able to get back from your MR if you miss your connection.

Finally, if you have a decent seat picked out for your MR, missing your connection could lead to you sitting in a middle seat in the back of the plane if that's all they have available.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick education. I know that I had read somewhere that you could ask for credit for original booking route and that is what I was thinking of. I am retired and have the time to fly, just trying to get some cheap flights the week of April 29th to anywhere. I appreciate your help.

hulagrrl210 and TravelBear like this.
  5. ivandalism

ivandalism Active Member

Status Points:
    The only times I've received original routing credit for a flight I didn't take, is when United re-tickets you on a different airline (for example, when they put you on American or Alaska) instead...which is great, since you can scoop up miles for the flight you take, as well as the ones you were forced to miss. It's not the type of gamble that you could predict though.

hulagrrl210 and Miss Staunton like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I mileage run, I try to do it the other way around- same day standby to get MORE connections, not less. Since the merger its been harder to get "miles as ticketed". They only like to give you what you actually fly now. Good luck.

BTW, 31 minutes in DEN is a good way to miss your flight. If you come in at one side of the B concourse and have to walk all the way to the other side, you'll be cutting it way close.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been successful in this since 2005, maybe 2006. United actually gave me miles to fly Cathay. I miss those days :(

8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the case if it is VBD (happened to me last fall when United sent me home on AS), but in that case I'm usually happy to take the voucher and try again another day ;)

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Miss Staunton! Welcome to this page for OCD travelers. Hahaha...

This board is good to watch daily for deals on the airline for which you want to earn miles. I have found two incredible deals here this year. Flew from FLL-IAH-SFO-IAH-FLL in one day for $210. Earned 5,000 PQMs and 10,000 RDMs (I'm 1K) on UA. In two weeks I'm going DFW-IAH-SJU on Tuesday, then SJU-IAH-DFW on Thursday for a total cost of $133. 5000 PQMs, 10,000 RDMs and two days af R&R at a 4 star beach resort booked on Priceline for $99/night.

Simply by watching this board, since January I have earned 10,000 PQMs and 20,000 RDMs for just $343. That's a great deal for someone who really loves to travel. I'm counting on finding more similar deals to help me see some new places and earn extra upgrades this year. Wishing you the same. Enjoy!

10. flynhwns

flynhwns Active Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying to accumulate miles then check the routing map. I once flew United from LAX to IAD with 10 legs. Same price as a two leg flight.

11. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any experience with MRs, but one thing I always plan for is delays no matter where I am traveling. My arrivals and departures are never that time sensitive, but I plan to receive a certain amount of mileage when booking my trip. It would be annoying (especially if you're doing it for the miles) if you end up rerouted to a shorter flight. I would suggest extending the connection times or swapping the stops to ensure you get on the flights you want.

Miss Staunton likes this.