Newbie traveling from LAX to BKK, need MP guru guidance

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jbird, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbird

jbird New Member

Status Points:
    Hey All, I'm new to this travel hacking business and have been wandering the MP forums for a few weeks now. Since I'm just starting out, I currently lack any significant miles in any one program but I need to fly a wedding in BKK. I'll have to pay out of pocket but was wondering if there are any tips/suggestions/hacks to lower my out of pocket costs? Details below -

- Traveling from LAX to BKK but would like a stopover in TPE to visit family.
    - Dates - 12/23 - 1/8, can try to be flexible +/- a few days, however, wedding on 1/4 in BKK isn't flexible.
    - Current costs i'm finding for LAX to BKK can be upwards close to ~$2k. Am I just out of luck due to the dates?

Appreciate any suggestions on how to reduce costs.

2. jbird

jbird New Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention, my girlfriend will also be traveling with me. We have some points but nothing significant -

Me
    Delta - 54k

Her
    Delta - 41k
    United - 17.5k
    SPG - 124.5k

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    124k Starpoints is actually a good balance... you can transfer up to 94k to Delta with a 1:1 ratio, and every 20k points transfer nets you a 5k bonus. United has 2:1 ratio, or you can look at the other airlines here:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...l.html?IndustryType=AIRLINE&PartnerCode=DELTA

The only catch is that your balance might still be too low for premium cabins though, and LAX-TPE-BKK is a long way to be in the back of the bus.

I'm sure plenty of people here have some good suggestions.

LauraPDX likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    No experience with Delta; but 124 SPG is enough for AA RT LAX - BKK on JL/CX. It is 70k RT in Economy.

viguera likes this.
  5. jbird

jbird New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip viguera and edekba, will look to see if they are viable options.