Newbie Strategy Help

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ThreeBeeFlyer, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ThreeBeeFlyer

ThreeBeeFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello all! I am quite new to this and am trying to plan out a strategy for a couple of trips that I would like to take.

Trip 1 - PDX to LHR to IST (Departure late June 2013)
    My partner and I will be taking a very, very belated honeymoon without the kids! Woot! We want to fly into London and then take the train to Istanbul (stopping in Paris, Munich, Budapest, and Bucarest - basically all the spots where we need to switch trains).

Trip 2 - PDX to BKK (Departure March 2014)
    For this trip, we want to take our family (5 total) to Thailand.

I currently have had the the SPG Am Ex (Personal) and the Citi AA Visa for about 9 months. Right now, I have +/- 30K Starwood points and 60K AA miles.

I'm trying to figure out my points/miles strategy to best accomplish both of these trips. My thought is that the airfare will definitely be the most expensive part of Trip 2, so perhaps I am best off trying to maximize airline miles - perhaps through the United CC?

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) I would choose AA miles for this strickly because BKK is Thai airway turf so thus United miles would work better. (Also LHR is BA's home turf). 60k is 1 RT in eco .. so if you or partner does the 100k AA trick and spend a little more you get 2 RT in eco.
    Hotels ... you ought to pickup a few more cards, (IHG with 80k) another SPG, etc. Also try to get in on stuff like the Club Carlson promo that happened earlier this summer.

2) 5 pppl PDX -> BKK is gonna run you 50k AA or 65k UA each. You're gonna need to either fly a lot; get more credit cards, or spend money. You might have to buy 1 or 2 PDX <-> BKK tickets ... unless you and your partnet can get a more miles. I would try to get in on the Chase Freedom/Sapphire/Ink combo and use the bonus categories to get as much UR points as possible then transfer them to UA.

3. ThreeBeeFlyer

ThreeBeeFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I am prepared to spend some money (i.e. buying several tickets to BKK). But the more I can get with miles/points, the better :)