Newbie questions about Hyatt Gold Passport

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Horse, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I am a member of the Hyatt GP program. I only stayed once last year and converted my stay to miles + bonus miles for an airline promo held during that time. I don't expect to stay with Hyatt more than two or three times a year.

I am planning to stay at a HP next month. I booked through hyatt with a AAA discount. I didn't see any discounts listed anywhere else (aside from corporate and govt), so AAA was the best rate available to me.

I am assuming it is best just to convert to miles every time I stay due to the infrequency of stays. Am I correct? If I have the choice between miles for US, CO, or WN, who is the best to send my miles to? I have no preference of one over the other.

The only promos I found for April is the one where you need 5+ stays. I haven't been able to find anything else offered.

Last question (for now) is that I don't see where I select an airline partner on my GP profile. I think last time I just gave them my airline and FF# at checkin. Is this still the procedure?

Thanks in advance to any who can help.

BeachMiles and Wurm like this.
  2. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak to all of your questions, but even with just a handful of stays a year, you will eventually accrue enough points for a free stay if you choose the GP points. They won't ever expire so long as you stay at least once per year. I value mine at about 1.5 cents a piece (others have different opinions, of course). Unless you are able to extract a really high value out of your airline miles, this may well be a more-profitable avenue for you.

Wurm and Horse like this.
  3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It only takes five stays a year to achieve Platinum; this gets you free internet, a small points bonus, and a certificate for an amenity every three stays.

As for designating a preferred airline and the corresponding FF number, I think you need to call GP Customer Service to do this (correction welcome).

Horse likes this.
  4. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is no way to designate an airline FF program to direct your earnings to with Hyatt. You have to tell the check in clerk each time where you want airline "miles" (no need to do this if you want points). In many cases, it will still post as Hyatt points (particularly Hyatt Place properties since they seem clueless how to correctly do this). If this happens, just call Customer Service to convert your stay to miles rather than points - this is easily done. BTW, this is just earning miles for the stay (instead of points) and not really a conversion (since those are at much less attractive conversion ratio).

travelingmore and Horse like this.
  5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    peteropny - thanks for your post. The reason that I thought that the airline number and preference was stored was the following: when they were doing the 2500 AA miles promo, I called in to have an Hyatt Place stay that had posted as points converted to miles. When the CS agent pulled up my records, she said "I assume you want it credited to American"? (maybe she saw the previous stay that I had called in about)?

Horse likes this.
  6. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is some obscure place that the agents can look to see the FF # - but there is no place for the "public" to record that.

Horse likes this.
  7. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all your helpful input. It's much appreciated!

8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up for Hyatt Gold Passport. Going to make my first stay using the $900 cert I got from the Cap One promotion. I talked to Hyatt about designating "miles" versus points since I do not anticipate more than one or two stays in the next year. I was told that it cannot be done ahead of time. If I check in, and I give them my United number, I will only receive 500 miles for the whole stay.

The rep told me to not do that, but just earn the points instead and then transfer them over to United. I think you have to have 5000 if I read correctly. But that gives you 2500 miles. He said if I give my United number for my 4 night stay all I will get is 500.. Might be a good deal for short one or two night stays.. I guess it all depends on how much your total stay is. 5 pts per $1 is what you earn.

I am going to forgo getting the sure thing of 500 united miles and just try to shoot for 5000 points instead....

Horse likes this.
  9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Horse! I think you have received excellent answers above. I would note that if you do make it to 5 stays per year (let's say doing some MR's in the April-June timeframe to take advantage of the current promotion....), you would receive Platinum as noted above and you would receive 10k bonus points. If you wish to register, the link is now live at http://goldpassport.com/gp/en/offers/possibilities-promo.jsp :)

Or you could simply get the Hyatt Visa card, which gives you Platinum status immediately, and then use it to pay for your stays. Nice kicker about this card in case you don't know is the two (2) free nights that come with the card (first year only thus far) which are redeemable at practically any Hyatt property (including Kauai). The card also gives 3 GP points per dollar spent at a Hyatt property and 1 GP/dollar for any other spending (including coins), and has no forex fees. Annual Fee is $75. www.chasecreditcards.com/hyatt

Horse likes this.
  10. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the help and refresher on converting points to miles.