Newbie questions : AA SWU use / rules

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by meFIRST, Jul 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend who travels a lot but has no use for them is gifting me a few. I am not really an AA person (yet)

Questions
    1) As I understand it, this works on AA metal only from one class of service to another on all coach fares ( even the cheapest ones?) to Business or select Business fares to First. Correct?

2) Does it matter that the tickets are not issued by AA ticket stock (001) or are BA codeshare flights ? (on AA metal) . Note : On new UA this would not matter, as long as its UA metal, the tickets could be issued by LH on LH ticket stock.

3) I assume wait listing is allowed? Does it work based on the status of the gifted or mine ( General member?)

4) At T-24 does this then carry over to the gate wait list or does the wait list expire (ala UA)

4) Is there a limit to the number of segments or a MPM restriction on usage?

Thanks

canucklehead and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can help with some of your questions but not all. I am sure others will jump in.
    Ans to #1: SWUs Work on all coach fares if there is availability. They are 'valuable' however so best saved for long distance flights.
    Ans #2: don't know
    Ans #3: yes wait listing allowed. No dependency on status as far as I know
    Ans #4: yes does carry over
    Ans #4(2): don't believe there is a segment limit as long as it is part of final destination. But others may need to confirm.
    When I have 'gifted' SWUs to friends they give me their itinerary and I call the ExPlt desk and ask to have my SWUs used toward the friends upgrades. It has worked very well from Brazil to US and from Europe to US and in reverse.
    Be very grateful to your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

canucklehead and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is only on AA metal. To the best of my knowledge, it has to be booked on AA stock. If the systemwide is not available, you can be waitlisted. Their website shows if there is availability at the present time for systemwide upgrade usage. It would be based on the status of the person giving the upgrade, although the likelihood of someone not being an exp and having a systemwide is fairly remote. This carries over to the gate wait list. I've used mine for three segments with no problems, but I don't know the exact rules on how many segments are allowed.

canucklehead likes this.
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh darn it. UA allows any ticket stock to use SWU's provided its the correct booking class and UA metal only. LH allowed at the airport only day of departure via paper swu.

So I'm guessing no BA?

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA SWUs are limited to three segments. You are however not limited to three consecutive segments. On a itinerary consisting of more than three you can choose any which three you want to upgrade.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, AA SWUs are valid on all purchased AA tickets and booking classes whether coach or business, but they are not valid on partner flights like BA, etc. One can buy the lowest priced AA business class ticket and then upgrade to first, which makes for nice international travels.

7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    No BA. The flight has to be marketed and operated by AA, so no codeshares on BA. At least the no fare restriction policy is better than UA's requirement of a W or higher fare class.

anabolism likes this.
  8. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checked the rules , no I class which is the lowest business class fare usually . This is simmilar to UA which blocks Z and P, both discounted

9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had I class upgraded with systemwides previously. We are going to EZE in 11 days on an upgraded I class.

canucklehead likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y and B class fares are upgradable to C with miles ( C inventory has to be available )

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The website swu listings are extremely inaccurate- I've had agents tell me there is no availability when it shows there is on the web and that there is availability when none is showing. Best to call to get the best info. ;)

12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    The aa.com listing where it says "system wide upgrade available" is usually accurate but misleading. If the flight is a connection , such as AA198 from ORD/JFK/MXP it may show the upgrade available when in fact it's only available on the ORD/JFK portion.

Likewise a 3 class service plane may show SWU availability when in fact the only open space is from business to first class. While that may be true, it's usually not the upgrade I'm looking for.

tom911 likes this.
  13. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where you looked, but it's incorrect: I class fares are upgradable with eVIPs.

Pizzaman likes this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long ago did you check the rules? AA relaxed the fare class restrictions many years ago. Previously, I and Q were unavailable, but now all published fares are eligible.

15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to SWUs that can be used across AA and US. :)

16. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

Gtitan likes this.
  17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does have a section on the website addressing systemwides. Might be worth a check there for those considering EXP:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=systemwideupg

While anyone can waitlist, they will clear by status. An EXP will clear before other elite members or a general member, regardless of date of request.

Unlike UA, AA flyers do not inherit the elite benefits of their sponsor, so they'll be clearing based on their own elite status when flying solo.

The best way around this, for someone without EXP status, would be to look for availability up front to take the risk away. If you see it there, it's yours. Expert Flyer has been very reliable in finding seats up front. As brodyf points out, the AA website is not reliable for sorting out systemwide upgrades due to all the variables in play (three class planes, multiple segments).

Betty Boop likes this.