Newbie question

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Lissthree, Sep 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Lissthree

Lissthree New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, newbie Aussie here:)
    Planning a family trip to US for late 2016 so busy clocking up points and came across the great Alaska air mileage purchase deal which is a great find to help some of us get there in business class via Qantas as Alaskan Air partner while the others get there in business class using my velocity points( Virgin Australia's program).

Problem i have noticed that whatever date I type in on Alaska's site as mock search of SYD to LA to see how many points it will burn, the business seat when it is a Qantas flight ALWAYS diverts me to Brisbane or Melb and that seat is business , but the international connecting flight to LA is then either economy or premium economy at best, NEVER business. And first class never seem to be available as option either.

I have typed in multiple mock dates for 2015 from 353 days from today back and it's all the same. No business seats on the international leg and none in first class with Qantas.

It looks great on screen that a business class seat SYD to LA is 55000 pts but I want to sit the 15 hr long haul flight in business not the 1 hr domestic prior to it. The interesting thing is that when you try and take out the domestic leg out of the journey, and just do the BRIS or MELB to LA flight in business on the same day , it diverts you back through Sydney for the same pt's and the same deal: domestic flight in business , international flight in economy or premium!

Now I am more than happy to put in the hours chasing down these scarce fares and finding them if they actually exist and happy to pay somewhere like awardnexus to do it for me, I have the cash ready to buy the miles if the seats are there but don't want to end up with miles I can't use if the seats are never there. Are they that difficult to come by these SYD-LA fares? Am I living in fantasy land looking at these tables thinking its doable and they will never be available and I therefore shouldn't buy the miles ?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    QF is one of the hardest airlines to get premium cabin award space on since they only release an "x" number of seats 355-365 days out. Once those seats are taken, they never release any addt'l seats even if the flight is empty. My recommendation is to find something with CX or DL while having a lot of flexibility with your dates/routing. Keep in mind CX only releases ~2 seats in Business between Australia and HK and ~4 seats in Business between HK and the US, but they tend to release a bit more closer to the departure date if the cabin is rather empty.

Flyer1976 and Counsellor like this.
  3. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Lissthree

Lissthree New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. Had been looking at awardnexus a few days ago. Is that what you mean by award booking service?
    Has for Delta thanx but no. Had a bad flight to them to LA 3 yrs ago. They decided that they wanted main cabin lights out and window shades down 1 hr after a 1030am takeoff, so 630pm LA time. Only individual reading lights allowed- made it a bloody long flight let me tell you!! Had friends who fly QF and VA and that does not happen so early in the flight with them so keen to avoid DL internationally on that leg if I can help it. Plus their point burn is so much higher.
    As for stopovers and therefore other airlines, am considering Auckland with ANZ or Nadi with Fiji Airways but HK with CX adds too much time.
    Thanks again

5. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do a search for "award booking service" --- which involves people assisting in your search for a fee, typically $100 to $200 per person that you want to book.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about doing award searches, but for our transpacific F trip booked before UA devalued their award in January, I didn't have the time to constantly search for F seats. Paid some money to outsource it and was very happy with the results.