Newbie Question - Tickets to Hawaii

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by sargenet, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello. We have not been participating in Dividend miles as US Airways does not provide the service we desire out of our city. So I am very new to the program.

I recently signed both my hubby and myself up, along with applying for DM cards. Next June we are taking our parents to Hawaii with us. They are coming out of Pittsburgh and we are trying to fly them for about 5 hours with a stop over before continuing on to Hawaii the next day. US has a non-stop from Pitts to Phoenix so I thought that would be a good spot for us to meet up, then we will continue on Hawaiian the next day. Hence the US Airways sign up and trying to earn miles for their flights...

If I understand the program correctly, there are no one way awards. And also that there are award fees for any ticket I purchase. $25 each if I get them RT tickets.

Does anyone know if I can actually get them a ticket to Hawaii with a stop over in Phoenix? I have reviewed their website and this is very unclear to me. I also believe there is a $50 ticket fee for Hawaii.

I also saw where we can use DM for interisland flights (10K) but it sounds like by the time you add the fees you might as well just buy interisland flights!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - no one way awards. No stopovers for flights within 1 "region" - which covers North America, Hawaii and the Caribabean. If you simply want an overnight in Phoenix, you can do this. You may need to call and have the agent process this. The hawaii flights generally leave early in the morning, but i'm seeing a few days with afternoon flights as well. It's timed for many East Coast connections. Agreed that interisland flights are not a good value.

Don't forget to check star alliance partners. UA/CO can also get you there with US dividend miles.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    JetsettingEric answered most of your questions, but I want to highlight that UA/CO or a mix might be a viable option as well. US miles on US's own planes can be a bad redemption if there aren't any low level awards available.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preach. Coach is 40-65-90k miles for low/medium/high and First is 70/135/180k a seat.

JohnDeere19 likes this.