Newbie Question - Renting Outside of the US

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Philphactor, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just learned that I am being assigned a client based near YYZ. I'm ORD based with very little int'l travel experience. I've got my rental already scheduled for my first visit in early June. This will be my first time renting outside of the US.

Is there anything I should be prepared for or expect when renting/driving outside of the US?

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may wish to acquire 'proof of insurance card' for driving in Canada. I just contacted my insurance company and told them when I would be driving in Canada and they issued me the card in the mail.

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cars have odometers and speedometers in kilometers and not miles.

YYZ in particular, remember to put your flight info into your rental. There are separate rental car facilities in each of the terminals (one in the main Terminal 1, and one in Terminal 3 where AA flies out of).

No real difference for aisle customers, you pick up your car, drive it to the exit, show your driver's license and you're good. A lot of chevy impalas, IIRC. Had to dig deep to find a Ford.