Newbie Question re: missing first domestic leg of Int'l flight

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by fosachee, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fosachee

fosachee New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all - I'm looking to book a flight to Munich in December for UA. My closest airport is IAD but a flight out of there is over $1000. I found a flight out of Philadelphia that connects at IAD for $792.

My question is - Will I be able to Board the flight from IAD to MUN without getting on the PHL flight? If so, will it affect my PQM miles at all (besides not getting the miles from PHL to IAD)? Thanks for your help and look forward to contributing here!

MX likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not. When you fail to board the plane for the first leg of your trip, the entire itinerary will be cancelled.

You can do this with the last leg of a trip (since there's nothing left to cancel), but not any leg prior to the last.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will get the PHL-IAD miles because you very likely will have a plane and flight # change at IAD. One way to make sure is to dummy-book. After you select the outbound and inbound flights, the system will display the entire itinerary with the PQM earned for each segment, then you can decide whether or not to purchase...

P.S.
    I now see the question. No, you'll need to go to PHL and board there, then the scenario above will apply...

4. fosachee

fosachee New Member

Status Points:
    Great, thanks LarryinNYC and NYCUA1K. Looks like I'll have to book an amtrak to PHL.