Newbie Question re: Medallion status

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by manilapacman, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. manilapacman

manilapacman New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

First time on here... new to the "points thing" and finding it an enjoyable and very worthwhile endeavor. I have a newbie question that is probably very easy to answer for you vets...

Almost always fly DL/KLM for work, mostly international long-haul. But for various reasons, it looks like I'm done flying for the calendar year. I'm Gold until Feb. 2014, but for this calendar year I'm only at 42,000 miles, so 8,000 short of re-qualifying for Gold again.

So my question is- do I try as hard as possible to earn 8,000 more MQMs before January 1st to get Gold again? Or is it better to be Silver and roll over 17,000 MQMs into 2014?

If I try as hard as possible to earn 8k more MQMs, do I have until Dec 31st or do I have until Feb. 2014?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sort of in the same boat as you. I have had Silver in the past and can tell you Gold (and above) is a huge difference. Gold + Delta Reserve AMEX has gotten me around 75% upgrade this year whereas Silver gave me 25% upgrade at best. Gold also give you SkyTeam ElitePlus thus access to a bunch of international lounges along with SkyPriority domestically and abroad. With that said, I would fight to maintain Gold if you are planning on flying a bunch next year.

You have until 12/31 to get the remaining MQMs.

Assuming you are in the US, have you considered getting the Delta Reserve? The annual fee is $450 but you get DL club access and net you 15k MQM after first purchase.

3. manilapacman

manilapacman New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply. Gold has been glorious, for sure... for about 100 different reasons.

So it seems like I need to make every effort to get 8k MQM by the end of the year. I hadn't heard about the Delta Reserve card. The $450 is a bit daunting since I usually only take advantage of Air France/KLM lounges and just having Gold does the job on that.

Is it bad for my credit rating to get this credit card, use it for one year to get the MQM, then ditch it to avoid paying $450 for a second year?

I guess my other option is trying one of these glorious mileage runs I've heard so much about...

4. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the actual numerical impact on your credit by opening/closing a card within a year but I can't imagine it would be devastating if you have a healthy enough score to get approved for the Delta Reserve in the first place. I am definitely not qualify to advise anyone on their credit score strategy however. :)

Another option is hope that Delta will be selling MQM at the end of the year -- 10k MQMs cost about $1100 (??) last year and I suspect it will be higher this year....not cheap!!

5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The card for one year would probably be cheaper than a MR - unless you just want a holiday somewhere. I doubt it would have much effect on your credit score. Another option - if you can use it - the DL PLAT BIZ card from AMEX. You get 10K mqms for purchasing a certain amount on the card and is only 150/yr. I think you need 10K in purchases however to get the bonus, but purchases can be for any item.