Newbie question on *A awards

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by mdtravel, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a long-time frequent traveler, but I have limited experience making *A award redemptions. My only experience is using US miles to redeem on LH for business from CLT to MUC.

My home airport is CLT fwiw.

I have a ton of US miles (million-ish), a ton of Membership Rewards points (million+-ish), and lot of Ultimate Rewards points (700k or so). I had been wanting to save the UR's for Hyatt redemptions, not airline.

I was going to try to make some award reservations for two (dad and I) for travel from CLT to MUC, or CLT - MUC - BRU...in business. US is blocking LH business redemptions or vice versa...either way, I'm of the impression that redeeming US miles for business award travel on LH yet in 2013 is a no-go, even if KVS shows availability.

So I'm a newbie.

Given the above and my desire to get two business class tickets to/from Brussels with one connection...what are my options? Is US blocking all *A redemptions (Brussels Air for example) or just LH?

If I were to use my stash of MR points, where would it be best to transfer to for redemption on what airline?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't you use United/ANA search tool, piece together a flight plan then call US and fees them flight info & dates?

I thought you can...

3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Believe US is well known to be not booking LH business awards.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    The why not do CLT-ORD-BRU On UA Metal?

UA BF > LH old J anyways.

5. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is US blocking BRU or UA, or just LH?