Newbie Question...all points or points and cash??

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by sargenet, Apr 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am totally new to Priority Club and wanted some assistance in making some new bookings..

I decided to get the Chase Priority Club card with 80K sign up bonus and new status..

Now I am getting ready to make my first bookings and am a little confused at the options! I am more familiar with SPG and Hilton....

For example... I have already decided to use the points to stay in San Francisco at Fisherman's Wharf. But I have an option of the following:

25K....
    20K plus $40
    15K plus $60....
    Lowest room rate during that time is $270...

Do you guys normally use the full amount of points (25K) or is it better to stretch out the points? I guess the biggest issue is the 2 different cash options! I am not sure if I am "missing something" and one way is smarter to go than the other if I am planning to do cash and points... thanks for any feedback!!!

JohnDeere19 and KathInJax like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to go with the cash + points option. $60 for 10k points is pretty good. Don't bother with the $40 + 20k.

PointsCashMiles and KathInJax like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to like the $60 + point options.
    In your case $60 and 15k points for a rate of $270 means your cash redemption value for the points is $210. I see this as very good value.

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking at the holiday inn or holiday inn express? Either way 270.00 per night for either hotel is way out of line.

KathInJax likes this.
  5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also remember that you get 10% back on the number of points used. If you do cash + points, the 10% includes the amount of points that you purchased. In this case, you would get 2,500 points back, which means that you only spent 12,500 points, $210/12,500 = 1.68 cpm. I think that this is a good redemption rate.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just another point on your rate. I've gotten this hotel on Priceline for around 70.00 per night. I'm just really surprised at the 270.00 per night rate. Neither of these hotels are worth 270.00 per night.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    But 15K points and $60 seems fine, and gives the OP a choice of hotels. If OP is comfortable with Priceline, he/she could start there. But SF is squirrely about Priceline zones, so it pays to be very attentive when bidding.

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your dates? Have you searched all of the special rates to which you'd be entitles, like AAA, Senior, etc.?

9. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at June 10th. I also have Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood points..all hotels that night are asking around $280 to 300. I have used Priceline before but this time want to burn these points since I have 80k from the sign up.

I am considering Holiday Inn Express. I am traveling with an 8 year old so want to be close to Fishermans Wharf...

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks, at first glance, like the HIX has better TripAdvisor reviews. In any case, if the points + cash are within your budget, why not book it and prepare to have a great vacation?