Newbie question about United purchase

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Rugby, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rugby

Rugby Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have been reading and learning a lot about airline miles over the past few months, but haven't learned enough to deal with a pressing question.

I am a Premier Gold on United and am looking to book tickets for my parents to HNL in February. They would be travelling from IND or SDF and (hopefully) making a single connection through Chicago, IAD, Phoenix, etc. I have about 140k miles banked, so not enough to purchase outright awards ticket in business/first. My question is whether there is any way to know ahead of time whether economy tickets purchased with cash will be upgradeable using miles at the time of purchase? I am looking to upgrade the longer flight to HNL and the longer return leg.

As far as I can tell, no, but I wanted to double check with the wise community here. Thanks in advance!

8MiHi and Jett Rink like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virtually every economy fare within/between all the Americas can be upgraded using miles or miles+copay. While as a Premier Gold you would also be exempted from a copay for most of these routes, there are some destinations or routes (some of which include HNL) for which there may be a copay even for Premiers, depending on how one gets there. Here are the rules:

Rules for Premier member co-pay exemption
    • Premier members will not be a charged a co-pay on routes within the US-49 and Canada and from the US-49 and Canada to Hawaii (except between HNL and EWR/IAD/IAH), Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean or Northern South America (except between EWR and LIM). Premier members will also not be charged a co-pay for flights within Intra-Asia (except between NRT and BKK/SIN) and non-stop flights to/from GUM (except between HNL and GUM).
    • Non-Premier members are exempt from the co-pay when sponsored using miles from a Premier member's MileagePlus account.
    It seems to me that you will be fine. See Table in PDF and follow link below for more info:
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/mua.aspx

Attached Files:

8MiHi, Jett Rink and sobore like this.
  3. Rugby

Rugby Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! As a follow-up, I realized through lots of searching and reading that upgradeable tickets were probably not going to happen, but was able to book 2 round trips in E+ for just 80k miles. Hoping that they might get lucky with my elite status and find themselves complimentary upgraded on one of the flights (I have been CPU'd myself and sat next to an empty chair in Business, so I guess it is possible, though highly unlikely).

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, award tickets are not CPU'd unless booked with miles from one of the credit cards (Explorer, e.g.) that offer this as a benefit. E+ is always a good fall back position, however.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    More important - are you aware that saver b/f award is the same number of miles as a standard coach award?

LizzyDragon84 likes this.